insurance still valid? Awkward situation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today i bought a new car and im trying to get insurance on it at the moment. The problem is the police have my licence at the moment as i got 3 points a couple of weeks ago. These 3 points take me over the new driver 6points in 2 years rule (im stupid i know). Ive just phoned the DVLA and they say they havn't been notified of the points yet so legally, at the moment, i still have a full valid UK licence.

A couple of questions regarding insurance... They will know about the points and ive checked and the revocation of my licence doesn't make a difference to the premium as its not an actual ban.

If i get insured now, when i get the letter from the DVLA saying ive got to retake my test can i just not drive the car and then when i get my full licence back just carry on driving? Would my insurance still be valid? The only thing that would differ from when i got the quote would be how long i had held my full licence.

Secondly, if my mum insures herself on my car with a different insurer (because its cheaper for her to get her own than be on mine) if she drives the car whilst im on provisional and she did have an accident would me been on a provisional and my insurance saying full licence invalidate hers in anyway?

Thank in advance!

Craig

as soon as your licence is revoked you have to inform the insurance company of the change in your licence,you will also have to notify them of the extra points if you have not already done so. This could have an effect on the premium, if you have held your licence for say over 12 months,your classed as experianced,as soon as go to provisional you are then classed as inexperianced, the excesses may also increase.The type of vehicle you drive may also have a baring as some underwriting requirements for certains cars is that you must have held a full licence for more than 12 months etc,so they may have to cancel etc..