Student between degree courses-liability for Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm looking for some advice.

My son was in a student flat in Dundee, finished his course and was accepted in Glasgow for a postgrad course. He moved from his flat to stay with me for a few weeks before moving into new flat in Glasgow and starting the new course. The Council sent him a bill, not realising he'd moved, although he notified them. His post was supposed to be forwarded but a few letters went missing. Months later a final demand arrived for his flat. I phoned council and explained position, and said he had moved with me. Someone there told me, as he was going to start another course it didn't affect my sole person discount of 25%. Some time after I got a letter saying I wasn't eligible for the 25% discount for the period he was with me as he wasn't a student as he was between courses.

He'd applied for jobseekers but they had told him he was still regarded as a student, so by the time he arrived with me he had a poorly paid part time temporary job.

I have written numerous times to the Council but getting nowhere.

Glasgow Council have not charged him for the period between his Courses, nor did Angus charge me for the months between my degree course and teachers training course.

Are Dundee making this up as they go along? I've tried searching online but can't find anything specific to the periods between courses.

Is there a chance anyone here knows????

Legally he is not a student between courses as he does not meet the relevant criteria for being a full time student. Some authorities will allow the discount to continue between courses rather than have to chase the council tax due for the few months between them.

Its at the council's discretion as the legislation states that the discount can only apply whilst the student criteria is met.

Hello, I just registered here to ask pretty much the same question. It's also Dundee council I'm dealing with.

My boyfriend just received a £600 bill for periods in 2003-4 between finishing school and starting college and between finishing college and starting a university course. I went into the council tax office today and asked them If this is correct and they said yes but they only came to this conclusion after discussing it amongst themselves since no one actually seemed to know!

I just thought I'd respond here to see if you got any further with this?

Between courses you are not a student however there are a separate number of disregards which are available if you are either a person under 20 for who someone received CB or your have left school after 1 may in that year.