Housing rent too much?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is there any way to determine how much rent one should pay for a property rented by a housing association?

I think £305/month for a 2 bed masionette that is falling apart is a tad too much, especially given the area (in a sink estate) and the extremely small garden.

I want to be able to see whether the amount is reasonable or not and if possible to challenge it.

Your local council should be able to help there, they should have a list of what goes for how much in such and such area (to help them work out HB from private LL in particular).

Also have you looked in the local free paper/online estate agents to see how prices compare?

I have to say I'd be surprised if a HA were overcharging, I thought their prices were roughly in line with the council's, but that's not really my field of expertise.

Thanks Bookie. The reason I'm asking is because I've checked some other properties and there is a 3 bed house for only £5 a week more than I'm paying.

Cheers. It cannot possibly go up.

I am in the lowest council tax band. If they created a lower one, I'd be in that. I'll check it out.

Thanks again.