Has my pension been stolen?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread....

Hi,

I am a full time school teacher, and have been for the last 10 years or so.

When I first started teaching I 'opted out' of the teachers pension scheme so that I would have a few extra quid to myself whilst I was fresh out of university. I did not pay any pension contributions for about 6 months in 1999.

In September of 1999, I got a new job at a different school. On my first payslip from them it had a teachers pension contribution deducted from it. Fair enough I thought, I would start paying into it.

Thing is, after a phone call to the teachers pensions department this week, it seems as though all my pension contributions from that point on have not been accredited to me. In fact they tell me I have no pension at all with them.

I can prove I have made the payments every month for the past 10 years, but my question is this...

Since I 'opted out' in 1999, and have not officially opted back in. Is all that money technically mine that I should/could be demanding it back with interest?

Or, is it the case that although I havent opted in officially, that money has to be accredited to me as I have made the payments?

Or, worse case scenario, I have lost all that money!

Its all very confusing, and I had no luck getting any sense from the person on the other end of the phone at TP.

Any light that can be shed on this will be gratefully welcomed.

I wouldnt think you have lost it, especially as you can prove it has been paid.

Just bumping your thread so others will see it. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A couple of years ago I had about 2 years worth of pesion taken out of my wages and not going into my pension. I queried this with my employer and he said I could either have it paid into my pension or he would refund it plus 8% interest. It was all very straight forward..........for me.

However I had opted into this pension. I would have thought you could have the choice as to what happens. either paid into a pension or refunded back to you plus interest.

this is just my opinion and i dont know for sure.

someone in the know will be along to give a more informed answer:)

I have alerted the site team to your query.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hmmm - I feel the need to check mine now - I didn't opt in or out to a pension I just had it start going off my wages automatically in September 07 my first teaching post - I'm going to check where mine is going now.

Thank you

It would seem that you should be ok Andie_303,

Opting into the teachers pension is automatic when you take up your first teaching post.

Though, there is no harm in checking with the people at TP.

Obviously, my case is slightly different as I did 'opt out' in 1999. And 'opting in' is not automatic when you change teaching post.

Does anyone know who I should be talking to to get this issue resolved?

Is it the pension people directly? (though they were no help at all when I spoke to them last time), or is it directly with my employers who paid the contributions?

Hi there, the people you should be talking to are those who administer your payroll. If they have been deducting pension contributions every month - where have they been sending it.

I should do this immediately and ask for proof of where it has been sent.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.