Charging for past car insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 3 years ago my car was taken off my drive and was badly broken into the steering wheel could not move. I calimed of my then insurance company who paid me out £500 for my car and I still had to pay the remainder of my insurance premium monthly as it was on finance, paying monthly which I did. The followin time I changed my insurance company but did not mention about the claim for my car being stolen at the end of this policy I changed again to a new insurance company. I then get a letter from my previous insurance company asking me for £423 or so because I did not mention my claim for my car being stolen from me.

I did not see why I should tell them because I did not ask anybody to steal my car off my drive and mangle it. so I lost my car, my £500 pay out because I had to pay the balance of my insurance and copped a bill for £423? Is this right for them to do this?

Please can someone help?

Regards

Mashmallow

Absolutely right as far as I am aware. You failed to disclose that you had a car stolen, something that is VERY significant when calculating risk. Effectively you were uninsured because of it so if you had an accident during that time and maimaed a child, your insurance would use the fact that you lied on your application to get out of paying.

About 3 years ago my car was taken off my drive and was badly broken into the steering wheel could not move. I calimed of my then insurance company who paid me out £500 for my car and I still had to pay the remainder of my insurance premium monthly as it was on finance, paying monthly which I did. The followin time I changed my insurance company but did not mention about the claim for my car being stolen at the end of this policy I changed again to a new insurance company. I then get a letter from my previous insurance company asking me for £423 or so because I did not mention my claim for my car being stolen from me.

I did not see why I should tell them because I did not ask anybody to steal my car off my drive and mangle it. so I lost my car, my £500 pay out because I had to pay the balance of my insurance and copped a bill for £423? Is this right for them to do this?

Please can someone help?

Regards

Mashmallow

When insurers quote you, they do so on the risk that you present - obviously someone who has lots of points, several claims etc will present a far greater risk than someone who hasn't. I can understand how you feel but I am in this position, I was hit badly by a Polish driver and having the claim on my insurance sent it sky high but as Britainsworstdriver points out, failure to disclose such information will result in your insurance being invalidated and then things can go really bad.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Britainsworsedriver,

I did not lie because of trying to get out of paying extra it I merely did not mention it because it was about 3 years ago and it was not an accident it was a theft. I get what your saying but as I said my car was stolen I think this ios slightly different to the way you are comming across.

I am so sorry. I didn't mean it to read like that. I meant in their eyes you have lied by not telling them. They normally ask a question like 'any accidents or claims in the last 5 years?....' So, when you say 'no' they will deem that to be a lie rather than not telling them.

I certainly didn't mean to imply what it obviously looks like now I read it back myself. Unreserved apology.

Yes, just to add, the last sentence in my original post meant THEY would get out of paying a claimn, I didn't mean as it looks that you lied to get out of paying them. Again, sorry, I didn't read it through properly. i am sure you see what I meant now.

Effectively you were uninsured because of it so if you had an accident during that time and maimaed a child, your insurance would use the fact that you lied on your application to get out of paying.

I don't believe the insurance company could use this fact to get out of honouring any 3rd party element of the claim. i.e. Any personal injury claim that was laid against the driver would have to be paid. What they could avoid paying is the policy holders element and also I think they could pursue the policy holder for the "debt" of what they had to pay out as a civil debt because they withheld information.

I don't believe the insurance company could use this fact to get out of honouring any 3rd party element of the claim. i.e. Any personal injury claim that was laid against the driver would have to be paid. What they could avoid paying is the policy holders element and also I think they could pursue the policy holder for the "debt" of what they had to pay out as a civil debt because they withheld information.

Exactly.

The insurance would have been voided, not cancelled. Third party claims for injury and property would have been paid, but the policyholder's losses would not and the ins. co. would have the right to pursue the policyholder for their losses.