Policy excess ambiguous

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5487 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I took out travel insurance before going on holiday. On the aircraft I lost a public library book worth £30. I reported the loss to both my departure and arrival airports. I claimed upon my return and initially was pushed from pillar to post; since the email addresses given were incorrect as I sent at least a dozen emails which all bounced back as undelivered! Then I telephoned, again going around in circles but finally ascertaining that there was a completely different email addy that I had to use; not advertised in the policy docs!! I therefore used this email and wrote a letter with it expressing my hitherto dissatisfaction, to which only a pdf attached claim form was sent!! No apology. Anyhow, I completed this and printed it off and attached a bundle of relevant and required docs with it and faxed it over. Only to discover the fax number on the claim form was also wrong!!! When I did fax it over to the correct number as advised by an employee of the company, I received another claim form a week later??!!!!

I was advised that this was in error and that my claim was in the queue awaiting assessment.

Another week later, I get another letter advising the my claim has been rejected as excess of £50 is payable by me. And since the claim is only for £30......goodbye!!!

However, I really didn't even see the excess, it was misrepresented and ambiguous in the policy schedule to say the least. It's a case of genuinely feeling mislead but my insurers couldn't care less as this is what they have relayed when I requested a formal complaint be lodged. The lady said, I would advise you that your complaint won't be upheld as the excess was clear? What shall I do? Please help?? I have informed the library of the loss and they have advised upon the full payment of £30 or a like for like replacement. Which, I don't really have any problems with as they are right, the book was my responsibility and I should rightly cough up for losing it.

Thanks

Kez :(

Someone will need to see the policy docs to see if there is a chance a court can deem it ambiguous.

They should have logged a complaint anyway - did they put that response in writing? If so, as you expressed disatisfaction, I would count that statement as a final response and go to the FOS.

But first it needs to be determined whether it is misrepresented. All the information about the difficulties you had claiming (wrong fax nos etc) is not relevant to that question.