• Tweets

• Actually there wasn't a massive amount of work to do on the WS.  The "meat" was there because of the great work you'd already done. Here is a version which I think is nigh-on finished. However, with Easter there are a few days for the other regulars to suggest tweaks. Defendant WS.pdf
    • Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Who can I take to a disciplinary hearing?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm after some advice, having looked on the internet for hours and not finding anything relevant!

I have a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday. I think I have got a very good case and hope to be cleared. However, I have the opportunity to take someone to the hearing, all the advice I've been given is not to go on my own - is that good advice?

I work in a small firm, just a few employees. We don't have a union and I have been told not to have contact with anyone in the firm. So I don't know who I can take to the hearing.

Also if I take someone, can they speak up for me or help me in any way? I'm not the best speaker and get very nervous and stutter sometimes. I'm going to feel under pressure as it is.

Any help and advice on how to handle things will be gratefully rec'd. Thank you.

You can take a work collegue and they can't put a restriction on who you associate with. Perhaps they have said that to make it easier for themselves, no witness means they could work out what they and you said after the hearing has happened.

A work collegue may not want to accompany you for fear of reprisal.

They cannot speak for you, but can take notes.

Guest Old_andrew2018

IMHO you are able to take one of the following a trade union official, or a work colleague it is your right look at this link, www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=272&p=0 please refer to pages 32 and 33.

Your employer may allow someone else, if I'm honest I doubt that they will.

I feel as the meeting is so close you should ask them to delay the meeting in order that you can contact such a colleague.

Andy

Edited by old_andrew2007
link incorrect

I work in a small firm, just a few employees. We don't have a union and I have been told not to have contact with anyone in the firm. So I don't know who I can take to the hearing.

They can't do this.

They can enforce no contact during work time, but outside of that, they can't; nor discipline anybody who breaches this "instruction".

What if you wife or parent worked there?

• 7 months later...

How did you get on with your hearing? I have just discovered this site, and find myself in a similar situation to you. I also work in a small company and have been asked to attend a disciplinary hearing. I can not take in a work colleague as apparently I have been bad mouthing my boss to one of them (she won't tell me who) so it's impossible to ask anyone. I am not a member of a trade union, so my brother who is an HR officer offered to sit in with me. I have been told by my employer that this is not allowed. My contract states who I CAN be accompanied by, but not who I CAN NOT. Is this splitting hairs? Also my meeting was scheduled for this afternoon, but was cancelled late yesterday. Do they have to give a reasonable time for cancellation eg 24 hours?