Council flat central heating.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I live in a council flat with my wife and kids in Hamilton (South Lanarkshire Council). It is one of those 4 in a block types where I am downstairs.

I have been unemployed for 7 months - long story, used to earn a good salary, and now I have massive debt and struggle to live.

My council flat is gas central heating, one of those back boiler efforts, costs a fortune. It is inspected yearly which usually consists of them vaccuming behind the fire not much else. The windows are all very draughty causing the house to be cold in winter. Something which I didn't notice while I could afford to pay the heating bills.

At the end of the summer the council sent their gas men round for what I thought was their usual 5 min check. This time they said that there was not adequate ventilation and the system was unsafe. They said they would either have to disconnect it or have more ventilation put in. I was just out of bed so I wasn't thinking clearly and I told them they couldn't turn the heating off. This was on the Friday. On the Monday I think while I was out, some council employees turned up to put in a vent in the living room, they told my wife the vent could be shut off. The installed a vent about 8inches in diameter, on the outside is is curved to face downwards but had not mechanism for closing.

Obviously they believ that the high winds in scotland cannot travel upwards.

They did the same to all of the council houses in this street. The outside part of the vent falls of constantly, and on some upper flats you used to be able to see right into the living rooms (although they have modidifed these one's).

This winter the entire house was freezing, I had to minimise the heating use, and still the bills are about the same as a 4 bedroom house, all of the heat goes out of the windows, and the vent or travels upwards to the flat above (bonus for him).

I have complained to the council and wrote to the housing director without reply. I all asked him how did the heating system go from unsafe to safe, as there was no fault, i.e is the council, saying that they where putting my family in danger for the last 12 years.

So my question is; is there anything legally that I can do? It is obvious that somehow the council found out that the heating systems in these houses where not safe with the ventitaltion they had, and quick solution to get round replacing old inadequate heating systems.

I am not looking forward to another winter where you can't sit on the couch without a jumper regardless if the heating is on or not.