contents insurance wont pay what next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently had my garage burgled, losing all my construction tools, fishing tackle and golf clubs. Reported the incident to the police and got the usual crime ref. no. Reported the incident to my insurance company and sent them an inventory of the stolen items. They have since asked for receipts for stolen items. Although I didnt hav all the receipts I senty more than enough to cover the claim. The claim is restricted to a maximum pay out. I have told the insurance company that I would prefer the items replacing but they have refused to cover the items or pay me the cash alternative. Unfortunately they will not send me this decision in writing so I am unsure what I can do. Has anyone any ideas as to my next move. I refuse to let them get away with not paying as like a lot of people I have never claimed on my contents policy and the 1st time I need it they wont pay. As usual happy to take full years payment off of me last month. ( sorry starting to sound bitter). As I say any ideas.

Thanks

Hello and Welcome, telboy.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

How much are you talking about here?

I'm a bit puzzled that they won't give you a written response.

Presumably you have spoken wit them on the phone - bit haven't recorded the call.

You should always record your calls. Think about doing it in future.

I think that you need to write to them SD. Confirm in the letter your recent call wit them and that you are disappointed that they have refused your claim.

Tell them also that you are surprised that they won't write to you formally and inform you that the claim has been refused and the reasons.

Tell them that you are giving them 7 days to respond after which you will consider a County Court claim.

If they don't respond in 7 days then send them a 7 day LBA and then a begin the claim.

I'm suggesting a total of 14 days delay because I fell sure that there must be some error because they would normally have no difficulty about a writing a refusal.

However, if they won't behave reasonably then you should sue them.

Don't bother to write any of this stuff if you aren't serious about going ahead.

If they won't write to you then this is probably an unfair practice and you should also complain under CPUT

Failing to meet a claim because of a lack of receipts is not on and is definitely an unfair practice. What is even more not on is refusing to give confirmation in writing.

I would diverge from BFs advice a little. Do send the letter, but make sure it is headed as a complaint. They then have no choice to give you their response in writing. Also, before going to court, complain to the FOS once the insurer has given it's final response or missed a deadline. The ebenfit is that their ruling is binding on the insurer but not on you. Should it fail therefore, you can still go to court, but would need to evaluate your options.

Can I ask which insurance company it is?