JSA & Sickness

an4rew
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been on JSA for 5 weeks and i've come down with the Flu.

I'm due to sign on this coming week and need to know what to do if not well enough to sign on?

thanks.

If you are unable to sign on due to ill health, there is information in the booklet you get which you take each time to sign on. If you have been signed off as medically unfit then you should contact the Jobcentre. I will have a look at my book thingy later on and see what it says

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

If you're sick you should be advised by the jobcentre to claim IS - but they don't always do this as my youngest knows from last year, so I would suggest you ask them how to go about this. Get the name of the jobcentre employee you talk too as well. I would assume you will need a sick note after 8 days sickness but I'm not too sure about this. Hope you are feeling well soon.

Don't claim IS! Certainly not straight away. IS can no longer be claimed for sickness as a new benefit. The benefit that has replaced it is Employment Support Allowance. If you are unlikely to be able to sign on this week because you are sick then phone the Jobcentre. They will send you a form called a JSA28 providing this is not your third period of sickness in the last rolling year. On JSA you can have up to and including two periods of sickness of up to 14 days each in a rolling year. Please be aware that your payment will not be released until the JCP receive an input the form, so the sooner you request one, the better.

The correct procedure is to contact the jobcentre..tell them that you are ill and will not be able to attend your fortnightly review.

If you think that your illness will last less than 14 days then you can sign a temporary sick form.

If you are going to be sick for longer than 14 days then you have to go down the route of claiming Employment and Support Allowance, again ring the jobcentre inform them of what is happening and ask for the telephone number for the call centre.

You will need a sick note from the doctor from the 8th day of your sickness if you are going to claim ESA.

You do not need a sick note if you are just signing the temporary sick form.

Hope that helps!

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

As i live in N. Ireland we do not sign at jobcentre plus but the DHSS.

Btw i really like that idea... less stigmatic than going to the Dole office.

I contacted them today and requested that form Sue said about... my signing day is Friday so hopefully it won't delay my payment too much.

Hope i'm better soon to get back on the Job Hunt. :)

Thanks again folks.