Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder SarahAntsez Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2009

Default Help I want to take my council to court

Dear all
    If you'd told me what has happened to me over the last 4 years ,I could not have believed that it could happen in this country.
    I was on chemotherapy and for the 1st time I claimed benefits . My local council failed to adminster both housing benifit and council tax benefit and I became homeless living in 1 room with 2 children.I asked for a home visit during my chemotherapy and they refused.The council at stage 2 of a complaint apologised and paid the back benefit 2 years later after ignoring my complaint for a year , however they failed to pay interest ( my mother a retired school teacher had paid the rent) they failed to compensate me for losing all my furniture ( I was left with just a suitcase) they failed to put back what they took away from me; they took me to court for council tax I didn't owe ,eventually admitted by them , but no compensation for my time .They apologised for their mistakes and the distress they caused me but that's all.I have considered the Ombudsmanicon but they rarely compensate properly.Can you make a personal injury claim against a council? I'm actually crying as I write this ,I can't let them get away with this
    I am in reasonable health now ,but in complete shock over what happens to the vunerable .

Basic Account Holder enamae Informative enamae Informative enamae Informative enamae Informative enamae Informative enamae's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2008

Default Re: Help I want to take my council to court

I'm afraid I can't help you with your query but hopefully someone who can advise you will be along soon.

enamae

Basic Account Holder casbah Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Sarah am sorry no ones has replied yet,

If I was in your shoes I'd ring the council and ask for the contact details of the chief executive,( it is actually on their correpondence but when someone rings up wanting it they get all scared
    They'll want to know what you want it for so I would tell them, and also ask for the contact details of the borough councillor and MP, ( then listen to em sweat)

Then draft a letter detailing what you feel they have done wrong and how you expected them to have remedied it and how they still have not done so. ( don't send it yet just chill out and re-read a few times)
    Then if you decide to go ahead I would request all the information of the time this happened under the FOIicon act 2000. They only have 20 days to comply so the heat is on for them.
    If you want to go ahead post a reply and let us know what you decide. You are not alone in this although I must admit I've never heard of a council going THIS LOW. but nothing with them surprises me anymore

Hi casbah
    Update for you , someone contacted me who saw my post on here .I've gone through all 3 stages of complaint , last stage was the chief executive and contacted my MP.Council is late with Freedom of Informationicon realease already. The only step left ( as I regard the govt Ombudsmanicon as a toothless tiger ) is to take them to court under benefit and housing law, in addition to personal injury ( I've been told I can't take them to court under disability discrimination due to Malcom v Lewisham case law) I'm waiting to hear if the firm of solicitors can take my case. I will keep all updated.They do go this low , if you're extremely ill then you can not look after yourself , I was so ill I couldn't even walk or ask for help. I have noticed that those who shout the loudest get further .Believe me , I have my voice back

Basic Account Holder casbah Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Good Girl,

Councils seem to think they above the law sometimes, a friend of mine was living in a 2 bed flat and had only one child, I lived in a 1 bed flat with 3 children, she applied for a move, she got it, I applied for a move and was refused. why? because she had never worked and always claimed benefit, so her rent account showed no late/missed payments. I had always worked and got a black mark!!!! Hows that for justice?

casbah

You have to be really firm and absolutely know the law ( say you've spoken to shelter that flips them out) You're overcrowded under housing law so I don't get this . Still waiting to hear if the solicitors will take this on ,if not I will do it myself ,also got a group of residents together who are disgusted ,so they'll end up with an occupation of their offices if they don't rectify what they've done to me ( with our money of course !!!!)

keep fighting

Sarah

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details