Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder azzymodo Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2009

Default Letter from Pace Forward

Hi just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I took out a loan with Lombard about 10 years ago, after I divorced I couldn't afford the repayments so I called in Gregory Pennington and they helped for the next 7 or 8 years with affordable repayments. However I received a letter yesterday from a company called Pace Forward asking me to ring them. I rang them to find out what they wanted and they said I owed 9k which I immediately denied, I asked them to send me evidence and then put the phone down and immediately found this forum. From what I've read I think maybe the next course of action is to send them a CCA. However there also seems to be some other technical details that might be relevant - such as I think Lombard passed the debt to someone like BLS, and now Pace Forward have it and at no time have I ever been told about these changes of ownership - just before I forge ahead with a CCA, is there anything else I should consider? Many thanks in advance

Basic Account Holder Nottsdave Informative Nottsdave Informative Nottsdave's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2007
    I am in
    Nottingham (surprise surprise)

Default Re: Letter from Pace Forward

I would wait to see what there next move is you have asked them to prove it, I wouldnt send the CCA yet let them respond and then post again for further advice.

Notts

As a great man once said " All Men Can Fly But Some Only in One Direction"

Notts
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Mar 2009

Unhappy Re: Letter from Pace Forward

Thanks Dave, I'm wondering if there's anything proactive I can do, if I wait I'm not convinced they'll do anything in the short term other than send out another letter asking me to phone them. In any case the CCA Requesticon would spell out exactly the documentation I am asking for and I suspect after such a long time and so many changes of ownership it may well not be forthcoming. I guess the worst case is that they send me a signed agreement but then I'd at least know where I stood. What do you think? It's just I feel rather helpless sitting around waiting for their next move

Basic Account Holder Nottsdave Informative Nottsdave Informative Nottsdave's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2007
    I am in
    Nottingham (surprise surprise)

A lot of this stuff is like a waiting game, they will be in touch just wait for them and then take it from there.
    It will all come out in the wash one way or another.
    Thats what I would do, but you might want to get the CCA Requesticon off now thats your call no difference really,

Its your call, good luck

Notts

As a great man once said " All Men Can Fly But Some Only in One Direction"

Notts
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative clemma Authoritative

Cagger since
    Oct 2008
    I am in
    Hastings!! :)

Do not call them. Put everything in writing and demand the same from them. Send them the following letter to get them to prove it:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference no: 00000000000

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading debt collectionicon Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,
    PRINT do not signicon the letter and send by recorded delivery. IF they reply, come back here for more advice. I would hold off on the CCA Requesticon.

Above all DO NOT PHONE THEM

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

[SIZE="1"]<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though![/SIZE]
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Mar 2009

Hi Clemma, many thanks for your kind advice. I'll compose the letter along the lines you suggest, the ball will most definitely be in their court, and I'll await their reply (confirmation of matter closed, hopefuly) and post here as soon as I get it

I know what you mean about not calling them, when I disputed the debt the guy on the phone said "yes you do owe 9k" and I got the feeling I should abort the call asap, and did so as soon as he told me he was passing me to the relevant department to discuss further - IF I ever call a DCAicon again I'll record the conversation...

Basic Account Holder misssj Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2009

Hello

I have recieved a letter and have no idea what it is about. I have spoken to someone at Pace Forward and they were extremely rude, so now I am really panicking. I am going to send off the letter posted above and hopefully that will make things a little clearer.

Banned mr.ton mr.ton mr.ton mr.ton mr.ton mr.ton mr.ton mr.ton

Cagger since
    Nov 2007

Do not ring them anymore - refuse to answer security & insist everything must be in writing only.

Basic Account Holder misssj Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2009

OK will do. Thanks for the advice.

Basic Account Holder fusiliers2rrf Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2009

hi all hope someone can help me with this, i received a letter from pace forward asking if i lived at my address saying that they wanted me to contact them on a ' personal matter '. me being warey of any contact like this didnt answer the letter or didnt use the number they asked me to contact them on. i now have been contacted by rockwell debt collectionicon agency with a po box address which is in the same area that pace forward write their letters???? demanding that i pay 500+ within the next 7 days, i have no idea where this debt would have come from and also the company that has instructed rockwell(tessera portfolio management ltd) i have no idea who these are either. some advice would be very grateful thanks.

Basic Account Holder shredder10 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2007

Ask them to prove you owe the debt.

Dear Sir/Madam
    Account no:
    You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.
    I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).
    I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading debt collectionicon Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.
    I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.
    Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.
    I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.
    I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.
    I/we look forward to your reply.
    **Edit to suit**
    Print name do not signicon

Cabot have been my friends for 2 years(EDIT) Sent packing statute barred.
    past due credit have been friends for 1 week(EDIT) Sent back to arrow, now statute barred.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder fusiliers2rrf Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2009

Talking Re: Letter from Pace Forward

hi all, well stone me, i did want you advised and sent off the letter, suitably edited, to rockwell debt collectionicon agency. i sent it recorded delivery and i traced it through the post office and it was signed for on the 20th april 2009, ( interresting point when the lady at the post office tried to find post code for rockwell it didnt exsist), i also must add that when i had the letter for demand of payment with the bank payment slip at the bottom, i must say that it was of very poor quality. Anyway i have received a reply today 25th april 2009. This is its contents

our ref: ********/****-**** bar code

Dear Sir

Re: outstanding amount owed to Tessera Portfolio Management Ltd.

We can confirm that we are no longer dealing with this matter, and our files have now been closed.

Basic Account Holder wrenster Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2009

I have just received a letter from Pace Forward without any knowledge of any debts outstanding. I have taken up the advice, not called them but will send them the letter you suggested. Is there anything else I should do? I am guessing it's for a debt of some description.

Cagger since
    Apr 2009

Well I sent the letter off after receiving a reply from Rockwell and I eventually received another letter stating that the matter was closed. So thank you for the advice.

Basic Account Holder gorse36 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2009

I received a letter from these people addressed to my old address and to my old name. I have since married (2003) and moved out (2003) - my old address is my parents. I have opened the letter and they have asked me to call them on a personal matter and have said that even if I am not the person on the letter to contact them anyway in order to remove the address. I would rather my parents do not receive letters from these people and I cannot return to sender as the letter is opened. Would it be better to write to them with the reference number - cannot state that it is a debt as I do not know as yet - and ask them to re-write to my new address or should I cellotape up the envelope and return to sender.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cagger since
    Apr 2009

Youy will probably receive another letter stating the so-called debt in the next couple of days. Just send the letter that is printed earlier and they will not bother you anymore.

Basic Account Holder alipepper Novitiate

Cagger since
    Aug 2010

Hi I'm new on here and found it only because I too have received a letter yesterday from Pace Forward exactly the same as those above. Is the advice given still valid? If so I will wait for a letter from Rockwell then send the suggested reply as above.Thanks

Basic Account Holder MONX Highly informative MONX Highly informative MONX Highly informative MONX Highly informative MONX Highly informative MONX Highly informative MONX Highly informative MONX's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2008
    I am in
    Lurve!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like this company are setting the nets far and wide, they must have aquired a new disc of debts, names and addresses and are on a phishing excercise.

As others have said, do not ring these jokers, once on the phone (unless you record the call) you have no record of what is said or how it is said. DCAicon's are known for using bullyboy tactics over the phone to pressure you into making payments or acknowledging usually unenforceable debts.

Unenforceable debts are alleged debts that the DCA's have no documentation to back up their demands or they are chancing their arm on alleged debts that are statute barredicon.

Always ignore letters urging you to call and if you feel you must do something proactive, send the bemused letter.

Never sign anything with your normal signature, print your nameicon. I would always head any correspondance with "I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THIS DEBT"

Keep originals of everything they send you and copies of everything you send them. Send everything recorded or special delivery then you have proof of postage and reciept and they can never use the "i didnt get that letter" defence.

With any luck, these jokers will get tired of the letter tennis before you and slink back under their rock, just be strong and take control of your life. There is nothing more empowering than telling them where to get off.

Even if they manage to cobble together some paperwork, post it up on here (minus any personal details) caggers can check it for you and confirm if it is enforceable or not.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder alipepper Novitiate

Cagger since
    Aug 2010

Thanks I will heed your advice and let you know what happens

Basic Account Holder theking1 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2010

Dear all,

I have read all the info regarding the letters from Pace Forward as I recieved a letter from them on 13/09/10. The same standard letter as some of you guys got. I was in the process of sending them the standard letter as suggested then today I recieved a letter from Rockwell.
    Within this letter they had a ref no and stated I owed 3200 to Tessera Portfolio Management with the original lender being Lloydsicon Black Horse. The letter stated I had ten days to pay the debt otherwise they will take immediate action.
    I had a loan from Lloyds around 9yrs ago for 3000 having paid off around half of this. I then got into financial difficulties and defaulted on my payments. I haven't had any contact with anyone regarding this debt for around 4yrs.
    Can anyone advise what the next course of action should be from me? Should I send Rockwell the letter?
    Thanks in advance for all your help.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE