Liverpool Victoria Insurance rip-off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have contents and buildings insurance (incl Acc Damage cover) with LV. Claimed in 11/08 for flooded kitchen (accidentally left tap on!) but only needed new base units, worktops and lino, and they (eventually) sent Anglia Homeserve to sort it out - it first took 2 visits from AH surveyor!

We left AH to get on with it. They took 5 days and left the kitchen in a worse state than when they arrived. [if you are unlucky enough to come across AH, watch yourself - they are rubbish] For example, sink and hob were not fitted straight, cooker not fitted properly (fell out when we tried using it), worktops cut short on one side and too long on the other side, base units were 'butchered' inside, worktops and sink not sealed, flooring wasn't replaced, tiles were broken and not replaced, and they dented our fridge door, etc, etc.

We complained to LV and asked for compensation. That was 4 weeks ago. Nothing much happened, until this week, as they kept fobbing us off with excuses like 'we have up to 8 weeks to deal with your complaint per FSA rules'. That really made us feel great!

We sent a long letter/email with 31 points detailing all of the problems with the AH work (or should that be 'non-work'?) with an independent estimate of the cost to sort out all the problems and finish the work required per the original claim (at the request of LV). Total estimate came to £1700 (so we are not talking megabucks here).

LV referred the complaint back to AH and LV have now received a response from AH. Basically LV have offered us £800, on the basis that is the cost to AH to put everything right - we have refused to let AH set foot on our property again, based on their past record! LV refuse to pay anymore, as that is what LV would have to pay AH to sort out this mess.

If we accept the offer of £800 it is going to cost us £900 of our own money simply to get our kitchen sorted out to the standard LV should have done in the first place. LV accepted this was correct - they suggested I should get a cheaper quote!!

This is simply wrong and amounts to a new version of daylight robbery. We are shocked and want to take this further.

What are our options - what is the best way to deal with LV on this issue? Should we simply go to a solicitor and let them handle it or accept the £800, pay to get the kitchen sorted and then complain to the FSA about how LV have treated us and claim compensation? Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

:-x:-x:-x

Hi Twincamtim

I have had pretty much the same scenario with Homeserve...but with Norwich Union this time. Was it a company that Homeserve hired?

It is a conservatory for us and when it eventually got built, the floor was missing and it leaked - badly.

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Definitely go to the FOS. It will take time but I don't think they will disagree with you.

You could also of course get your own assessor and claim the costs back. But that's at your own risk. Wait for the FOS.

Hi.

To Dipply75 - no, it was LV who used the company Homeserve. I cannot recommend using LV for home insurance on this basis. Homeserve are incompetent.

To gyzmo - thanks for the advice but it came just too late - LV offered us the full price to sort out the kitchen and £150 compo - seemed reasonable so we accepted and cheques are on the way to us as I type (I hope!).