Tesco pet insurance and Ombudsman

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. We recently made a claim through Tesco Pet Insurance which they declined because their contention is that the condition in our cat was pre-existing to the start of the policy. We disputed this through their complaints department, but the refusal was upheld. We have now taken our case to the Financial Services Ombudsman and are waiting for the outcome of their investigation - which we understand can take up to nine months. In the meantime, the veterinary practice concerned have asked us to settle the bill because out dispute is with the insurance company and not with the practice. If we do settle the bill with the practice and then the FSO finds in our favour, can Tesco still be compelled to pay us the value of the claim? The original claim form was submitted direct to Tesco by the veterinary practice.

Hi ineluctable,

If you settle the bill yourself, just ensure you get a full receipt, along witha copy of all the paperwork sent to the insurer, that way, you can re-present the costs to them if FOS go in your favour. I cant see that they could argue with this, but it may be worth calling FOS and just checking with them, I would imagine it's a query they get quite often.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Insurance Guy

If I can offer any help I will....

I have experience in Fault, Non-Fault & Disputed Liability Motor Claims for vehicle damage and hire, and some experience in Personal Injury Claims

If I've helped- please click my scales :D

ANY ASSISTANCE IS GIVEN ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE- YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE TO CONFIRM ANY ADVICE GIVEN

FEEL FREE TO PM ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADVICE 8-)

The only problem may be if there is treatment not covered under the policy or if it costs more than the policy limits. In such a case, they would not pay that part anyway. If it is all within the policy and the FOS rule in your favour, the insurer would not be able to refuse to refund you on the basis you have paid yourself.