handbag stolen from car boot spare keys in bag

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

parked car outside house secured valuables in boot i.e handbag sat nav coat, in the bag was spare car keys, the window was smashed valuables stolen thieves came back later and stole car,the car was recovered by police but a lot of damage done will the insurers pay for the damage? thanks

You'll have to look at your T&Cs.

You can bet that they will squirm about it

tonycard,

as BF says, check with the insurer, I know we would argue that... I wont quote policy terms but we would say that you knew/should have known the keys had gone, therefore by leaving the vehicle on drive/road side/wherever without having locks changed you have failed to safe guard.... not what you want to hear and hopefully your insurer will be different!

All the best

Insurance Guy

If I can offer any help I will....

I have experience in Fault, Non-Fault & Disputed Liability Motor Claims for vehicle damage and hire, and some experience in Personal Injury Claims

If I've helped- please click my scales :D

ANY ASSISTANCE IS GIVEN ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE- YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE TO CONFIRM ANY ADVICE GIVEN

FEEL FREE TO PM ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADVICE 8-)

The FOS does not always look kindly on insurers refusing to pay out claims in such instances. Usually there should be "recklessness" involved, which basically means, in their words, "courting" the problem, and a failure of the insurer to draw your attention specifically to any clause regarding keys left in cars. However, each cases is determined on its own merits. Have a look here:

insurance case studies - keys left in or on cars: a continuing problem

in what way are the insurers supposed to highlight this clause in policy regarding keys left in car and could locking handbag with keys in be deemed as reckless

Edited by tonycard
not enough detail

tonycard,

as BF says, check with the insurer, I know we would argue that... I wont quote policy terms but we would say that you knew/should have known the keys had gone, therefore by leaving the vehicle on drive/road side/wherever without having locks changed you have failed to safe guard.... not what you want to hear and hopefully your insurer will be different!

All the best

car was stolen around 3 a.m theft not discovered until 7.30am no way of knowing keys gone

So how do you know they came back later to steal the car? :-?

two neighbours one heard alarms go off and did nothing about 2.30am they other seen car driven away at 3.30 am and di dnothing nice neighbours lol

• 1 month later...