Credit check by letting agents?!

Guest Alison82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Alison82

Can a letting Agent (sole agent) do a credit check? Are they able to go into your file and see whats what or do they look at you score?

i have just had mine done through a leeting agent called lets xl!!

they have charged my g/f and i £50 each for a £2 credit check!!!

Halifax

Settled in Full

Cap One

Settled in Full

Citi Card

Settled in Full

Guest Alison82

Do they get to see everthing, it's just thst I have 2 defaults that I am currently in the process or arging and I don't want these to ruin my chances, will these be a major problem?

they will use either experian, equifax or call credit!

and yes they will see everything on your report!

i have a ccj showing that was settled last year and i got turned down by lets xl so had to get a guarntor to sign with me!

if you tell them you have bad credit before they do the checks they will be ok about it!

just you might need a gurantor!!

hope this helps and keep us informed!!

Halifax

Settled in Full

Cap One

Settled in Full

Citi Card

Settled in Full

Does the guarantor have to agree to a credit check?

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Does the guarantor have to agree to a credit check?

mine didnt through lets xl.

they just had to be on electrol role and earn three and a half times the rent!

Halifax

Settled in Full

Cap One

Settled in Full

Citi Card

Settled in Full

Guest Alison82

Just soke to the letting guy, expalianed the situation, he said it was ok, it was just ccj and court orders they were worried about, a default is nothing for them to worry about; which has put my mind at rest

thanks

Last time I had a problem and admitted to a CCJ I got turned down for the flat I wanted, when it came up again 6 months later I reapplied and declined to tell them about the CCJ I thought stuff em let a credit check spot it and I got the place they did do the credit check but still let me have the flat

• 2 weeks later...

it costs around £17.50 for an online credit check. the £2 check is the paper version u get sent to your home address.

ditto what everyone else says, just tell them first they are usually ok with it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

No one can lodge a search of your credit file without you giving them permission as any searches stay on your file.If anyone has searched without you giving them permission then point it out to them straight away and demand they get the search removed.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Guest NATTIE

My understanding of letting agents is that they write to the bank with your consent to ask whether you are creditworthy for a payment of x amount per week/month. I don't know their terminology but ours is status enquiry which costs £8.50.

Maybe with consent , but a previous poster said it was done without consent

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

A Letting Agent can do both a status enquiry to your bank and a credit search as long as they have your permission to do so.

A bank will then charge you about £8-10 for the pleasure of a status enquiry.. The credit search normally costs the agent around £10.

The credit search can be a non registered search and thus does not effect any credit rating.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alison82

Quick question,

2 friends and I have just rented a flat, one of us wasn’t present when we were signing the contract last week and they haven’t arranged a time for her to sign her bit.

There are some things that need to be fixed in the flat such as a large pane of broken glass.

Is our contact valid if the 3 rd tenant hasn’t signed (it was rented as a 3 bedroom flat not room by room and she has signed a holding fee form about a month ago so that is proof that there is a 3rd tenant)

Any thoughts??

Guest Alison82

Yes we have, there are lots of other little thinhg but they are putting it off, we wanted to see the place again before we moved in but they kept coming up with excuses like "the builder has the keys" for 2 weeks.

I just wanted to know, in case we had to consider saying that if he dosn't fix these things pronto then we will be leaving (but only if it turns out the contact is not valid until all 3 sign) we don't want to leave but he doesn't know that.

This glass is so dangerous if someone leans on it without realsing the will fall 5 floors!

Any thoughts?

I would put it in writing to the Landlord, stating that it is unsafe and dangerous.

There is an authority to report to, Not sure who it is. They are like the HEalth & Safety Exec type of authority.

Try phoning Citizzens Advice, They will point you to the relevent authority

The Landlords and Tenants Act 1985, Section 116(4) covers the landlords obligation to repairs. I would suggest that you write to the landlord and give him a reasonable deadline to have repairs carried out. Also state that if he fails to do this you will have the repair carried out by your own contractor and make payment from rental due to him and forward the invoice/receipt once received.

With regards to only 2 signatures on the agreement. I would suspect if you have an Assured Shorthold then you are "jointly and severally liable". You will still have a valid tenancy however the sticky point for you or the Landlord would be if he needed to take legal action against you. For example if your flatmate fails to pay rental and causes damage the Landlord will probably only proceed against the two who have signed - Basically it's you who is at risk of taking the brunt of any action caused by your flatmate who has not signed.

Guest Alison82

With regards to only 2 signatures on the agreement. I would suspect if you have an Assured Shorthold then you are "jointly and severally liable". You will still have a valid tenancy however the sticky point for you or the Landlord would be if he needed to take legal action against you. For example if your flatmate fails to pay rental and causes damage the Landlord will probably only proceed against the two who have signed - Basically it's you who is at risk of taking the brunt of any action caused by your flatmate who has not signed.

Did think of it like that!! I better hurry the process along then!! It's not that he is not going to fix the glass he is just taking ages about it

Thanks