Meh, why did I volunteer again?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Need a bit of help with a incompetent insurance company and it's lack of customer support. I have been dealing with a accident claim on behalf of my brother-in-law. I have been named on the account by him as a representative as his first language is Polish. Now, I understand the DPA in regards to this, but will touch on this later if need be.

He had a accident 30/01 and even after numerous calls from the Monday onwards, he did not receive a courtesy car until weeks later!!! After a long battle with them to get this courtesy car, it took a further 3 weeks to email a simple document to them. It went to a salvage company on the 24/02 and we have only just received this on 09/03.

We have agreed to have the vehicle back, minus the excess (£350), salvage cost and hidden charges (£1100) and there engineer's inspection valuation (£1250). So we are left with a figure we're not really that happy with, and considering that they estimated costs to be around £5,500 - the cheque still has a bit of reach to go before we are satisfied. Now, I really feel the need to be determined to get some compensation from them for not being able to eat my dinner on my dinner break, as they are not open on Saturdays and I work 7am-6pm M-F (they open 9am-6pm!).

I'm not sure how to attempt a second offer, or more. The costs my brother-in-law incurred over the time he has had no vehicle, only had the coutesy car for 2 full days, still not in reciept of this so called cheque deserves some recoil? I spent so long speaking to pretty much every team member from one manager that it did not strike a light with them. Even the salvage company commented on how poorly this Insurance company conducts its business.

Can any one help me repel back at them with this case of time spent and actual turn around? It grieved me to help, but being family and all I felt I had to step in after he called every day of the first week and got no-where! I suppose the question is, is where do I start to reject there first offer? Not only that, but request compensation for lack of communication within a team, let alone different departments. Lack of communication with the Customer, only one call received after numerous broken promises. Additional costs for travel to the policy holder being without a vehicle, and as it still stands no settlement cheque?

A long winded question, but thought I would post up as much information on it as possible to give the best possible scenario. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Is there a third party to claim off?

2. What are the "hidden charges" exactly?

3. Are these amounts you quote being taken off the vehicle valuation?

4. What exactly does the policy state with regards to a courtesy car in terms of availability and length?

Asides those, one thing NOT to do is to call your insurer. Advisors are there to hit targets which are rarely inducive to customer service. You will also find that advisors have little or no knowledge of insurance law, and speaking to a team leader is a waste of time as they usually have less knowledge.

Write in to them instead and insist on written replies - it has the advantage of being easily reproducable should this go to the FOS.

1. Is there a third party to claim off?

He went into a vehicle, that went into a vehicle - if that makes sense? If not, he went into the back of a van of which already hit another vehicle in front of him. Even though we are being blamed for all the accident, because the Van driver did not signal (brake lights/hazards etc) there was no warning. We are not to blame for him going into the vehicle in front of him.

2. What are the "hidden charges" exactly?

So far to say, they are charging me for storage (?!?) and pick up costs (?!). Even though from the start, we requested the vehicle back.

3. Are these amounts you quote being taken off the vehicle valuation?

These are the amounts I was advised over the phone, I have requested that it is put in writing to me to the policy holders address.

4. What exactly does the policy state with regards to a courtesy car in terms of availability and length?

Not entirely sure as we do not have a copy of the policy, only option is the downloadable one, of which we have no access to currently (have also requested copy of this via post). However when speaking with the Insurance company, they informed me that the policy DOES include a courtesy car.

If there are any more questions, please ask.

Thanks again.

Can anyone help me with this situtation please?

I'm sorry to push, but it's been so long now, and I am tired of dealing with the Insurance to be honest.

Thanks again.

I've never heard of a policyholder being required to pay their own storage and pick-up costs. This doesn't sound right to me. Is your brother in law insured via a really obscure insurer/broker? Maybe they are taking advantage of him because he's not familiar with the English language or UK laws.

I remember reading an article a few months ago about unlicensed (or dodgy) brokers targeting vulnerable groups in society and selling them unsuitable policies or even worthless policies. It sounds like your brother in law may have been sold a really basic policy with many of the standard features missing.

Is your brother in law keeping the salvage (or the value of it)? In that case, it is normal for the value of the salvage to be deducted from the final settlement.

AS far as I know, the salvage costs are included pick-up and storage, including breaker charge (if it were we did not request the car back). He has taken the car back, so in effect the Insurance company are right to take off the salvage costs, but storage and collection? Not only that, but the offer they have sent us, it's just not acceptable! How do I argue this offer and get it reviewed?