• Tweets

• Should this to be take into court with him or should he send something in earlier?
    • This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Insurance renewals - how widespread is this problem?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Have a question - has anyone had the following scenario happen to them?

Your annual insurance, lets say for a car, is up for renewal but not liking the renewal quote you give them notice to cancel (giving plenty of notice!) and take out insurance elsewhere.

a few weeks later you get a new certificate in the post from your OLD company, so check your bank and find that they have debited the renewal amount.

A call to the company and they say 'oops, yes that shouldnt have renewed, we will cancel immediately and refund your premium' (No major issues getting it resolved and you think no more of it, a simple mistake)

it then takes about 5 days to get your money back. so they have had your money for sometimes as long as 10 days!

This has just happened to me for 2ND YEAR RUNNING with 2 different insurance companies. my thoughts are that even if they do this to only 10 people a day with a couple of hundred a pop they are earning some nice interest from us over the days they have our money sitting in their account!!

Anyone else experienced this? wondering if I am just unlucky or if more widespread and earning these companies some nice extra interest.

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

If you pay by direct debit, then more often than not the insurance policy will be on an "automatic renewal" i.e you'll be sent a renewal quote in advance, but if you dont respond (of if its not logged on the insurers system correctly that you have responded) then the policy will automatically renew, you will be sent documentation and the 1st payment will be applied from your account.

The reason the payments take so long to be refunded is simply because we have to have confirmation that the payment has cleared before we can refund it again. This can take anywhere up to 14 days for a bank to confirm (is all done electronically via BACS). As soon as the bank confirm the money has cleared, we will refund the payment to you.

This isn't a [problem], or a con, its just a product of technology advancement. This never used to happen back in the days where people had to ring up to renew the policy, its only now that people have to ring up to NOT renew their policy.

D.A

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

I always advise to cancel the DD. And I am also aware of various practices of sales staff in insurance companies who "renew" a policy to get a bit of commission when there are instructions otherwise.

I am sure some of these instances referred to are accidental, but I suspect there is a practice of not cancelling policies on purpose.

...This isn't a [problem], or a con, its just a product of technology advancement...
Lets face it, it is a [problem]/con - just it is done with the publically accepted get out excuse of "computer error".

Computers don't make mistakes, they just do what they are programmed to do. In the first instance of such a mistake being found (i.e. payments taken when they should not be) you can claim a mistake has been made. At which point you correct that error. But companies know it nets them a nice earner indirectly, so they don't correct the error and let it continue knowing that there is little joe public can do to put a stop to it and knowing that the overseers can't be bothered with it either.

A computer will normally not renew a policy when told not to.

The problem is usually the operator failing to give the instruction in the first place.

I don't disagree with what your saying here - Apologies, I was in still in rant mode after talking to a company over the phone, where computer error was blamed. It just gets my goat up.

In this case the OP gave notice to cancel and it did not happen.

This was either operator error (not intiating the cancellation).

Or system error (cancellation initiated but lost in transit).

First one is discipline, second one is negligence (if the same error had already been experienced previously).

Neither go anyway to stopping the money being taken, hence why your advice on cancelling DD (albeit after you have confirmed final payment has been made) is good advice. I do the exact same myself.

In response to the OPs original question, I found it happened quite regular, hence why I took more control of my accounts through online banking, ditching my conventional account back when online was a new thing.

If you pay by direct debit, then more often than not the insurance policy will be on an "automatic renewal" i.e you'll be sent a renewal quote in advance, but if you dont respond (of if its not logged on the insurers system correctly that you have responded) then the policy will automatically renew, you will be sent documentation and the 1st payment will be applied from your account.

The reason the payments take so long to be refunded is simply because we have to have confirmation that the payment has cleared before we can refund it again. This can take anywhere up to 14 days for a bank to confirm (is all done electronically via BACS). As soon as the bank confirm the money has cleared, we will refund the payment to you.

This isn't a [problem], or a con, its just a product of technology advancement. This never used to happen back in the days where people had to ring up to renew the policy, its only now that people have to ring up to NOT renew their policy.

D.A

thanks for the reponse - But -

payment wasnt by D/D. the whole premium was paid by visa debit card last year, (only way to cancel them from the consumer end is to cancel whole card after every transaction, rather tiresome!) they obviously retained the card details and deducted £229 quid from my bank account.

I responded to the renewal notice and gave plenty of notice to cancel the renewal of the policy, even had a long conversation with the agent (mainly one sided - him trying to persuade me to renew!)

Cancelation was confirmed on the call with a 'we will send you confirmation of no claims discount in the post to pass on to your new insurers' as a clear indication that he understood it was being cancelled.

Have confirmed with the bank, 'electronically' the funds cleared from my account the same day it was requested. it was confirmed in the possesion of the insurance company and already earning them interest on day 2 (that was last Friday) I called them on Monday educate them on the error of their ways They did have the actual nerve to try it on and say I would only be getting £217 back because i had been insured with them for 5 days!! I swear I could actually feel the blood pressure rise!

still yet to see a penny back in my account - Bank say they could have started the refund process on Monday, I would have seen my money on Wednesday - oops no, not arrived yet, insurance company squeezing some more interest out of mine and probably thousands ££££ of other ex-customers premiums.

from feedback from other sites i have also posted and from talking to people this does seem quite common and definately a good money making con for the insurance companies and obviously better than the good days of ringing up to renew as that didnt make them any money!

hopefully Watchdog will ask some pertinant questions!

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

I agree in principle with what you're saying. At the end of the day, if you have called the insurer in plenty of time to stop the policy being renewed, and they haven't done that, then that is really bad service from the insurer and needs to be followed up by their complaints procedure.

The same rule applies for refunds on cards as for direct debits. Confirmation that the payment has cleared has to be received before the refund can be applied back to the card/bank account.

I don't actually agree with automatic renewals and i very rarely offer it to the customers i deal with (although it is part of our scripts) as i believe its the customers choice whether to renew or not, we shouldn't assume they want to renew unless we hear otherwise.

However, i still stand by what i said in that this isn't a [problem] or a con, its just technology moving forward and the computer operators just simply not following the correct processes.

D.A

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

Auto renewal is a con full stop the insurance companies are out to make as much money as they can nothing wrong with that of course but lets face it how many people go with the same insurer every year not as many as there used to be prices are fluctuating so much these days and you can typically save about £100 by shopping around.

Insurance companies know this so they try and hold onto you by auto renewal

Only way to stop this happening is to cancel the debit with the bank soon as last payment has gone though.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Obviously insurance is a business so of course they're there to make money.

However, with the introduction of the 14 day cooling off period by the FSA a few years ago, there is no point in the companies auto renewing policies maliciously as everyone seems to suggest.

All the customers would do is ring in and cancel and get their money back which would actually cost the insurer money by having to issue documentation for the policy, process the cancellation, refund the money and then send out more documentation to confirm the policy has been cancelled.

D.A

• 3 years later...

Green Insurance company sent me a ridiculous car insurance quote less than 14 days prior to renewal of £601.90. I didn't bother to read further and consigned it for recycle. Only whilst looking over the new insurance company required documents when asked for previous insurance quote for proof of 'no claims protection', it had to be recovered. Then I read the announcement that they have automatically renewed the insurance. Panic to stop a payment from bank. can't stop payment from bank, have to speak to insurance company. Blast! Insurance company is closed on Sunday=the day the insurance is to commence! This is the first time I have ever come across this 'auto renewal'. It MUST be made illeagal.