Norwich union playing funny?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there im looking for a bit of advice but Im new to the forum so, please, be gentle :)

I am insured via norwich union however my policy expirse on the 28th march 2009.

In december 2008 one of the named driver on my car insurance policy was involved in a 'bump'. I wasnt present when it happened but the circumstances surrounding it were;

He was driving on a duel carrigeway inside lane round a bend, car broken down in the inside lane so he slows down to wait for the cars on the outside lane to pass. One of these cars slows down to let my car out however 3rd car going to fast doesnt brake and ploughs into the back of the second car which in turn forces the into my car (my car still in the inside lane having not moved).

Anyway, no injuries, police werent called (I wasnt happy with that), details exchanged and everyone went on their way (the car that crashed into the back of car 2 was undrivable).

So i inform insurance right away, they take my car away give me a courtesy car while mine is repaired. I get a letter on the 30th december stating that my insurance company 'hold the 3rd party fully liable'.

My car is repaired on at the end of january however Im told I have to pay £350.00 excess. Im basically told I have no choice in the matter so i pay it being assured that Ill get it back.

I spoke to Norwich Union today again who state that the 3rd partystill has not admitted liability and have until the 3rd week in march to do so or the file will be sent to norwich union solicitors.

Ok, lol, my questions are:

1. Should I have paid the excess even though my insurance company have said im not liable?

2. Is this a normal time scale when the other party doesnt admit liabillity?

3. Is it possible that norwich union are 'holding off' until after my renewal as basically they have me by the 'short and curlies'?

4. If the other party finally accepts liability - will i still lose my 2 years no claims bonus?

5. Ive made a complaint already and today recieved a response of:

"I can confirm that your claim has been poorly handled and i can only apologise for this...we will re allow the bonus on your claim while we await a descision on liabillity to ensure your renewal is not affected" - does this mean that for the moment via NU my no claims is unaffected or can i go anywhere with my no claims just now?

6. Should i refer this complaint to the chief executive officer of NU and the financial ombudsmen or is this a waste of time? have i any reason to do so? this is the first claim from any insurance ive had to make

thanks to anyone reading this. Im just very frustrated that I am out £350.00 which id rather get back asap.

thanks, replies would be appreciated

K:)

Edited by k1984
additional details

Thats a lot of questions! lol! i'll try answer them as best i can.

1) yes, you pay your XS to your insurer and they in turn fix your car. They will then go about claiming your XS back from the other insurer (see point

2) From memory, an insurer has to give the third party insurer 6 months in which to respond to a letter regarding liablity.

3) No, i doubt they would do that, its more likely due to above.

4)No, as long as your insurers make a full recovery from the third party then your No Claims Bonus will remain intact. (Although may be reduced at renewal as claim is still ongoing but will be back-dated once liablity established)

5) Yes, I'd agree that NU have agreed to honour your NCB at renewal (see above). As to whether that just applies to them or whether you can use it elsewhere or not, you'd really have to speak to them to ask. It sounds like its just a goodwill gesture so may only apply if you renew with them as technically they "could" still not get a recovery from the other insurer. either way it cant hurt to ask.

6) No, i wouldn't bother taking it to that stage yet. NU have already dealt with the complaint and have offered you a gesture of goodwill by allowing your bonus at renewal, everything else is just a case of following guidelines. I cant see any reason why you wont get your XS back, its just a case of sitting tight for the moment and letting things sort themselves out.

Calling NU occasionally and giving them a nudge to get a wriggle on wont hurt though! :p

Hope this helps

D.A

Edited by Darkangelsdelite
shocking spelling! D'oh!

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)