someone is using my details to make a claim HELP!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

had a letter just over a wk ago from norwich union saying that they wanted my insurance details as apparently my car was involved in an accident on 8th october 2008.now i havent had any accidents at all and im not with norwich union so i phoned them up.they have said that the details they have got from dvla are mine.i asked where the accident was ,when and what the car i was driving.they said nottingham ,8th oct at 12.10 afternoon and the car a bmw.well ive never been there ,driven a bmw let alone own one .anyway im worried that somehow ,,someone has got my details .norwich union have said they will get back to me but as of just now i have just recieved another letter again asking for my insurance details.has anyone any idea as to what i should say and do ,quite worried as im thinking what else have they got access to of mine

i thought of that at the time but wasnt quite sure ,but now yes i think i will contact them as im worried about anything else they may have got hold of . i know for a fact that it definately was not me and have never owned a bmw in my life and also have never had any accident in 23yrs ,mind you when i recieved the 1st letter i did have to rack the brains a bit ,like well did i but no i can say i didnt lol.shall i just explain everything that was in the letter and phone calls ?

thank you all for replying ,ive been pretty stressed about this ,just one more thing ,how on earth would somebody try to make a false claim ,what would they gain from it as obviously i would find out as i have and more worrying how do they get my details ? Anyway i shall take letters to police station and also insurance bureau thank you all again for your advice will let you know what happens next !!

This sounds as if someone has cloned your number plate, been in an accident given false details or driven off and the other party's insurance company have gotten your details from the DVLA.

If you 'phone NU back and explain that your registration no is not allocated to a BMW & suggest they verify the details with the DVLA. This is not an uncommon occurence & the insurance companies are aware of it.

Also notify your local police and tell them you have reason to believe your reg no., has been cloned.

It could also be that the person initiating the claim got the registration wrong - it's amazing how many times this happens.

I would not worry. Simply send a letter asking that they direct their enquiries elsewhere. They are barking at the wrong car person.