Advice please on claim against rogue council bin!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

A large communal council bin hit my car when there were high winds last year. The insurance paid for the repair but I had to pay £100 excess and my no claims has been affected.

I believe the council are responsible as the street is on a hill and they used to have fixings in the road which secured the bins to the road but when the road was resurfaced the fixings were not put back so the only security on the bins were the foot brakes. The flat is in a city centre and the bins were regularly moved around and used to block the one way road by people having had a few drinks.

On the day of the incident the huge bin was stopped by two pedestrians before the bin rolled onto a busy main road.

The council's solicitors have advised that the council were not negligent and liability is denied as the bin men confirmed they applied the brakes after servicing and because there were inclement weather conditions which could have caused the incident and this is out of the councils control.

My insurance have said from the very beginning that it is unlikely a recovery will be made as councils are notorious for not paying up. I received a letter recently to say that esure are closing the claim as their inhouse solicitors have reviewed the claim and think the prospects of making a recovery are low.

The following is an extract from the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 34 which refers to Waste Management and the Duty of Care A code of Practice:

Waste left for collection

2.7 Waste left for collection outside premises should be in containers that are strong and secure enough to resist not only wind and rain but also animal disturbance, especially for food waste. All containers left outside for collection will therefore need to be secured or sealed.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I should proceed with this; should I continue to challenge esure to continue with the claim or should I take it to the small claims court myself? Maybe write to the council myself?

Thanks for reading.

This is not something I would normally recommend, but in this instance, I would suggest a call to one of those NWNF companies. If they think you have a shot, they will pursue the council ferociously to get their cut, they are known for their aggressive litigation style, and councils are aware of that. ;-)