style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. I feel a bit stupid asking this but my 18 year old daughter has just phoned in tears because she has scratched a parked car`s wheelarch.

She says their is little damage and she knocked on doors and found the owner. She has a £500 excess as a named driver on my fully comprehensive policy. Their is no damage to her car so I won`t be making a claim.

Do I have to pay the first £500 of the other persons claim?

I`ve told her to go back and take a picture of the damage so it can`t be exaggerated.

Sorry if I seem naive but have full protected no claims with nil excess and lucklily have been fortunate with car accidents

Thanks

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

May I first congratulate you on raising an extremely honest young lady - I only wish that more people would hold their hands up when they ding other peoples cars.

With regards to the problem it is always best to reach an agreement at the time - say of £50 or £100. If the other party claim on your insurance you should not have to pay the excess; however, even if they did I would doubt that a minor scratch would amount to £500 - unless it was a Ferrari she bumped. My best advice is discuss the matter with your insurers - if they indicate that a claim could adversely affect your policy then it would be best to reach a private agreement with the other party.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

P.S. To give you a benchmark, I have been quoted £700 to have the whole side of my car resprayed by a Vauxhall main dealer - metallic paint as well. That would make £500 seem very expensive for a minor scratch.

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Bearing in mind that even if you do not claim, she has to declare the incident in future insurance renewals, hence having an adverse impact anyway.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for that everyone. She`s home now and her damage is slight so the other party may not bother (hope) Should I inform my insurance company anyway?

Yes she is a very honest girl and hates injustices and is not afraid to challenge people who do wrong. When she was 14 2 boys walked into McDonalds and really hurt another boy. Not only did she try to intervene which I explained to her was pretty dangerous but is the sort of thing her mother and I would do,she had no hesitation in giving a witness statement identifying the boys as she knew them but was prepared to go to court but fortunatly they went guilty.

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

Hopefully all resolved then - honesty is always the best policy! Certainly a credit, as if there was no real damage to her/your car, then it can be extremely tempting for someone to just drive away and infuriate the rest of us!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

You only pay your excess if you are claiming for damage to your own vehicle. If you are liable, you (or rather your insurer) will be responsible for paying whatever the third party's losses are, including THEIR excess. The excesses on your policy will have nothing to do with the claim if you are not claiming for your own damage.

And I always recommend that you do NOT settle privately. There is a sticky in this section entitled "dos and donts". One of the last posts is from me which contains a link to another post that demonstrates why you should not settle privately.

And may I ditto the comments on honesty.