Car Insurance Query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

First post and hope you can help.

I am currently living in southern Ireland with a UK reg car which is also insured here. I have a full UK licence and my tax is also UK.

Currently my tax is up at the end of the month and the DVLA will not tax the car due to the southern insurance (diffrent road traffic act).

I also travel home to Northern Ireland 3 times a month for the wkends but am not insured here to drive.

Southern Ireland requires cars being charged VRT tax (import tax), and this would cost me about 1000 euros.

The VRT state that if the car was insured in my possession in NI for 6 months are more, the VRT would be disregarded and I can carry over the car free.

However my theory on this is that even if I did decide to pay the VRT, I still would not be insured to drive up north as I do quite often and therefore not be covered.

Ideally I would like to be insured for both sides of the border which I am happy to pay.

I have a UK based NCB for 10+ years (which is included in my southern based insurance) and still want to protect this. So if I apply for an online quote for a UK based insurance company, they will want proof of this, but what I am afraid of is that in the event that they contact my Eire insurance company, the same company may terminate my current insurance.

Is this likely to happen or is it possible not to be penalised for having car insurance for both sides of the border as this would be ideal for me.

Thanks.