Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
    Basic Account Holder irfan22 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2010

Default Re: David Lloyd Leisure harassment

i hate david lloyd they suck. Theyve done the same thing to me, wouldnt let me cancel my membership, let me join when i was a student and shouldnt have been allowed to join.i didnt have any money so asked to cancel my membership they wouldnt let me so i asked to suspend my membership but they wouldnt let me do that either, saying i think 30 or 60 days notice, and they may or may not let me suspend it. i told them that i dont have the money to pay for it, but they wernt having it. Now they (arc)keep calling asking for 837 quid :S. Im a student and already in enough debt im not going to pay for something that im not using.`

Basic Account Holder lhi2i Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2010

I was pursued twice by David Lloyd debt collectorsicon over 10 years of membership. First time David Lloyd had to pay me £500 compensation and second time £2000! Their administration is clearly a mess, the debt collection companies must know that and I believe have a duty of care to ensure they establish whether their client has cocked up again before pursuing wrongful claims.

I have now left them as they are more like a factory than a club and have also written to the OFT about their consumer practices and the issue of the duty of care owed by their debt collectors. I would encourage anyone else with complaints against them also to contact the Office of Fair Trading and your local trading standards office and to consider suing both them and the debt collection company through the small claimsicon court as I did.

Basic Account Holder David_lloyd_is_evil Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2010

Hi, This is very interesting.
    Having the exact same problems with David Lloyd, Arc Europe and Munn Solicitors. I paid 12 months cash upfront (no direct debiticon) for what I was lead to believe was a 12 month fixed term. Then after 12 months they try to bill me for 3 months notice! An Outrageous underhand practice!
    The Office of Fair Trading states that “rolling terms” are unfair and they have told David Lloyd before they need to reduce their notice period too. Most UK gymsicon are 1 month which they deem reasonable.

Can anyone whome has been through Closure on the David Lloyd Chapter please clarify a number of points;
    1. If you dont pay to Munn actually file a Court claim and try and enforce the 3 month notice contract?
    2. How did the comenter in the above actually get a payment form DL? Was it for harrasement? what is the best process for this?

I have already written to Watchdog, Time Troubleshooter & OFT. Any others?
    Thanks

Basic Account Holder Old-Nail Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

In answer to the above questions I can confirm that;

1/ The Trevor Munn letters are simply a bluff by ARC to frighten you into paying. Looking back, I now see that they are simply an amateurish and feeble attempt to intimidate. I ignored them all with no ill effect.

2/ ARC will 'play' you right to the wire, using telephone harassment, threatening letters, and repudiating any claim you might make that you are not liable for the so called debt. They only stopped when they saw that I had contacted the OFT regarding their methods, having first methodically logged all their calls, and sent appropriate letters (by registered post) requiring them to submit all further contact in writing only.

Don't waste any time (or your breath) trying to reason with them, they're just not interested. Keep a copy of all your letters to them, and force them to write (not call) to you, as telephone harassment will be denied by them. Remember to log all telephone callsicon, note the time, date, and ask the name of the caller - then hang up. Don't feel ignorant, they are!

Send all your letters by registered post or ARC will also deny ever having received them. Keep your post office receipts too which are used as proof of letter delivery.

The best way to quieten them is to write to them, and allocate a named person to handle any future claims from ARC/ David Lloyd on your behalf. (Much as you would a solicitor, and any name real or otherwise will do) I made a nice name up, and then used c/o my own address.

That 'person' will then be the third party responsible for handling all future claims against you, which must be in the form of written correspondence. This means that you personally are not dealing with the claim, which in turn means any subsequent phone callsicon to you personally are contrary to the OFT guidelines.

Having delegated the matter to your selected person, and notified them of his or her name, and a valid postal address (Only! - No phone numbers!) for them to contact him/her strictly in writing only, then they are no longer allowed to contact the original person directly, either by telephone or by letter. If they do not comply with this you then have grounds for a harassment claim and can inform the OFT.

By using this method all further correspondence is done through a possibly very lazy third party that doesn't even bother to call round much to open his mail, let alone reply to it, and of course it's nothing to do with you.

ARC love making nuisance telephone calls, but hate writing letters. Especially when those letters cost them more to write and send than the phone callsicon do, and often go straight into the bin. There are laws, and OFT guidelines which must be followed by any debt collectionicon agency, be aware of them, and of your rights, and use them to protect yourself.

Basic Account Holder Zyzarzazz Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2010

My tactic is to just ignore their calls into eternity, it doesn't bother to delete a voicemail once or twice a week. Having read up on the subject, I have no intention to ever speak to them.

They may have sent letters, but to my old address so I haven't seen them. This is also due to a David Lloyd cancellation (the one in Kensington, London) because I moved house.

Ignoring a good tactic?

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE