Advice re v minor bus bump, please...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

A few weeks ago, I had a very minor bump with a bus - so minor it didn't even scrape the paintwork on either vehicle. The bus company are now trying to claim on my insurance, although they haven't said on what grounds.

The circumstances were that one evening I was trying to reverse into a parking space outside my house during torrential rain (I live in a small village in Scotland). The bus came up right behind me while I was reversing and stopped - I was so intent on not hitting the car beside me that I didn't see the bus but managed to stop just as we touched. The offside rear corner of mine touched the front offside of his bus.

I can't stress how minor this was - I stopped because I suddenly saw his headlight in my wing mirror and we touched as I stopped the car. I know this might sound like I wasn't paying attention but there was very heavy rain and he was so close that his headlamp was hidden by my car. As I swung round, it came into view and I stopped immediately.

I was very annoyed that he didn't sound his horn - he claimed that my reversing light wasn't working (as it happened, the bulb had just gone - it certainly worked half an hour previously when I reversed out of a parking space elsewhere).

As I said, there was no indication of damage whatsoever on either vehicle - not even on the paintwork. Given that I drive a Ford Focus and he was driving a bus, you would think that damage, if any, would be much more likely on my vehicle than his.

He refused to give me his name, saying that the bus company's registration no (not the reg plate, a four-digit no printed at the top of the bus) was all I needed. He had a witness, a woman passenger, who also refused to give me her details, claiming that she was his witness and had nothing to do with me.

I took photographs of both vehicles - he refused to dim his headlights so I could get a picture of his paintwork, but I managed by taking pictures from several angles. Not a mark visible on either vehicle.

I'd like to know where I stand on this. Was he right to refuse to give me his details? Was the witness right to do the same? There is a very strong suspicion that the two of them were chatting as the bump happened and he wasn't paying attention. Also, is he under any obligation to sound his horn if he sees a collision is about to happen?

I have now had a letter from the bus insurers telling me they intend to claim on my policy. I know full well there are no real grounds for this - are they just trying it on?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would write back to the Bus insurers asking for evidence of damage to the bus, and telling them that you took photographs of both your car, and of the bus at the time of the incident.

Tell them that in your opinion, the collision was of such low speed, and there was not even a mark on the paint of your car that you seriously doubt that there was any damage whatsoever to the bus and you will be forwarding copies of all the details that you have on the accident to the IFB (insurance fraud bureau) as you feel that this is a spurious claim.

• Haha 1

Just wanted to say big thanks - v sound advice. Have spoken to the insurers and all indications are that it will not be pursued - quite rightly, too.

Am still incensed that they even tried to make a claim on what is essentially a percentage basis, hoping that I won't bothyer to fight and just let the insurers sort it out between themselves.

A triumph for the common man - thanks again!