Legal & General Contents claim rejected

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was burgled 2 weeks ago, duly informed the police and filled out the claim form which L&G sent.

Received a phone call to say that as the burglar had gained entry by a window, I had contravened the minimum security standards and the claim was not going to be settled.

Looking at my policy, I did tell them in the proposal that I had window locks. On the night in question I was in bed asleep and although the window was closed, the lock was not on (I put them on when I go to work or go away).

The original upset an hassle of the burglary has paled in significance compaed to the stress and upset as a result of L&G's dealing with the matter.

Do I have recourse?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

:confused:

It will depend on two things. What is the actual wording of the security clause?

The second thing will depend on the wording and the actual circumstances. If the lock on the window would not have prevented the incident (for example if the window was smashed), then it would be irrelevant.

endorsement on policy states "minimum security standards" - the actual clause says that windows (easily reached) should have key operated window locks.

The burglar got in through the window.....it was closed but the lock wasn;t on.....I was in bed asleep. There si nothing to state when the locks should be used i.e. at all times, when the hosue is empty etc etc

Thanks again

I think it can be assumed that the locks should be used, otherwise there is no point in having the locks anyway. Usually, a policy will state when the windows need to be locked, as you have pointed out.

I think any complaint you have will rely on the reasonableness of the clause, or challenge the wording in that it did not specify when the locks should be on (it is reasonable to suppose that they are only locked when unoccupied, but that is debateable).

Hello, I have had a look at the policy booklet and understand from the Minimum Standards of Security, that "other than for windows in occupied bedrooms, the security devices fitted to the home are put effectively into operation immediately before you or your domestic employees retire for the night. The Minimum standards of security for doors and windows:-

All accessible windows less than 2ft in height/width, (for wooden windows), must be a Window lock with a removable key, or a locking handle with a removable key, or a rim or mortice security bolt with a removable key, or a multi point locking system with a removable key.

You need to carefully look at the wording and key to see if you fall foul of the policy exclusion because of not having complied with the policy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for your post. I took my policy out via Swinton. At no time have I received a policybooklet or anything which expands on the policy wording. Also, the Financial Services Ombudsmen states that the mere fact that it is in the policy and that policyholders are notified (which I wasn't) of the scurity policy, is not sufficient. Have written to L&G today and will see what they come up with, with baited breath!!!!