Admiral Insurance/DLC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a letter in today from DLC claiming I owe Admiral £43.30.

I cancelled my insurance with Admiral and moved to another company, as far as I am aware I owed £23.30 so it appears they've added £20 on. Does this count as an unlawful penalty charge? I'm going to pay the £23.30 I owe, just wondered if I should be paying the extra £20 too?

Thanks,

knox

[COLOR=blue][B]Defaultless since 2012 :)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=green][/COLOR]

I would certainly challenge the charge.

I would expect that the £20 is a cancellation / admin charge which whilst unfair, is probably within the policy terms and conditions.

Bank charges are part of bank account terms and conditions. Putting something in the terms and conditions doesn't mean it's not a penalty.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Where an insurer/broker charges a fee for amendments to policies, it is a charge for services provided and not a penalty. Such admin charges are clearly shown in the t&cs and is a fee for the additional work carried out when adjusting a policy.

Such fees have been challenged before however as much as I would like to agree with you, they are not a penalty.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

In which case it would certainly appear to be a penalty charge.

Just to add, there is no basis in law for a company adding collection charges (if this indeed is what the £20 is for) unless it is a condition of the original contract. Even then it would probably be considered an unfair term in the contract (and companies are very aware of this) which is why you tend not to have such terms in the contract.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.