A Very Unfunny Comedy Of Errors!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is just a vent as much as anything else so please excuse me!

I moved up to Manchester in September, didnt inform council as landlord was going to do it, anyway head in sand, up and down to old town of residence, I forgot it about it!

3 weeks ago I get a Summons for the 11th Feb, ooh buggery I rang them up, explained I'd never had a bill, never had a reminder. But of course they'd been sent out said the young lady on the phone, ooh but we did forget to send the 2nd reminder out, our apologies!

I explain I dont want it to go to court, but I cant afford to pay it all, oh and can we apply a Single Adult Discount, no probs she says! Paid £100 that day, and arranged to pay £150 on Feb 14th and the remaining £155 on the 15th March, which would clear me after my SAD had been applied.

I've put the SAD on the system (Gawd I hate these 'systems'), just send us an email to confirm it!

Excellent, I thought, all sorted and done................except it never is, is it! Then made the payment on the 14th Feb as decided

I get a letter dated the 13th Feb, we have been to court, have an LO and you must pay full amount of £417 within 14 days or bailiffs, bailiffs my backside I thought, so they got a stinking email complaint from me, pointing out to them what happened, and also pointing out some of the complete inaccurasies in their threatening letter, for example. they cannot just order a bailiff to seize my goods, there is a process, and I do not, by law, have to fill in their darned enclosed Income Form as enclosed in envelope (How many of you think the Income Form was actually included?)

But having previous experience of CT incompetance I decided to call as well, and oh did I get the snottiest woman ever!

Do I have a payment plan? No of course there isnt one of this system, I cant possibly have called and set one up! They acknowledge the payment I made when I called but theres no notes as to what the rest of the 25 min convo was about. They'd have asked for my employers details if I had. Well not knowing that that was the information they would have asked for I can hardly be in a position to say I was at fault!

I particularly enjoyed the friendly 'Oh Well' when I stated I couldnt pay the full amount, I had to pay half the remaining amount on the 28th Feb, the fact that I'd already paid £250 in the past 10 days was irrelevant apparently, and couldnt I 'save up to pay the rest'? Yes, maybe if I pull out all my teeth and ask the tooth fairy to be generous. 8)

Well then I had better fill in the Income Form attached to the letter hadnt I? Then she very kindly, with all the sarcasm she could obviously muster for this conversation, advised me to contact Royal Mail as 'someone had obviously opened my letter, removed the form and posted the rest of the letter back to me'. You see, its never ever happened before! Strangely enough she shut up when I offered to send her a photocopy of the letter, showing that nothing had ever been attached to it.

Oh and I've been informed of a change in the law, apparently the bailiffs can come around, and come in and take what they want. This was her reaction to me telling her I would have nothing to do with bailiffs, and would only deal with the council. Oh she says, I've never heard of that happening, its not possible. (Doesnt know a lot this girl!) So I explained to her the process in which bailiffs keep coming around, I refuse to have anything to do with this, they eventually go back to council, and I get that lovely Notice of Arrest thingy, by which time I'll have paid it all back, and by the way I work in Welfare Benefits and Debt advice, and know exactly what they can and cant do.

At this point she'd actually physically given up speaking to me, except to say it would be best if I kept the names of every person I spoke to in case there was further problems, how kind I thought, 'Yes c*****, I certainly will remember who I've spoken to, and so will your manager, and my M.P and put the phone down!

Honestly I can laugh now, but I was steaming after putting that phone down!

P.S Does anyone else think I should just copy this post for my new complaint letter? :D

Did you not know councils are a law to themselves;)

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

The Request For Information Form / Income & Expenditure Form issued is a legal requirement under the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

Duties of debtors subject to liability order

36.—(1) Where a liability order has been made, the debtor against whom it was made shall, during such time as the amount in respect of which the order was made remains wholly or partly unpaid, be under a duty to supply relevant information to the billing authority on whose application it was made.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), relevant information is such information as fulfils the following conditions—

(a) it is in the debtor's possession or control;

(b) the billing authority requests him by notice given in writing to supply it; and

© it falls within paragraph (3).

(3) Information falls within this paragraph if it is specifed in the notice mentioned in paragraph (2)(b) and it falls within one or more of the following descriptions—

(a) information as to the name and address of an employer of the debtor;

(b) information as to earnings or expected earnings of the debtor;

© information as to deductions and expected deductions from such earnings in respect of the matters referred to in paragraphs (a) to © of the definition of "net earnings" in regulation 32 or attachment of earnings orders made under this Part, the Attachment of Earnings Act 1971[15] or the Child Support Act 1991[16];

(d) information as to the debtor's work or identity number in an employment, or such other information as will enable an employer of the debtor to identify him;

(e) information as to sources of income of the debtor other than an employer of his;

(f) information as to whether another person is jointly and severally liable with the debtor for the whole or any part of the amount in respect of which the order was made.

(4) Information is to be supplied within 14 days of the day on which the request is made.

Aaah, thank you SS. Manchester are obviously different to Bristol who insist that you have to ask them for an Income/Expenditure form rather than one having to be supplied by law. Indeed they say there is no guarantee they will be able to take any notice of it should you send it anyway! :roll: