council tax arrears/court summons...advice needed urgently

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I hope someone can give me some guidence/advice please. I have fallen behind with my CT. I owe £459.00 for this financial year. I have recieved a court summons for 3rd March.

I lived with my partner who is unemployed cant claim benefits cause i work. the council informed me that I still need to pay full rate (no discount). My partner moved out december 8th 08, i didnt inform CT cause my head was up backside!! He is moving back in in a few weeks.

He is adiment he wants to go to court and tell the judge why he cant pay his half of the bill, but surely this will effect me?

I want to pay at least my part of the bill. I want to pay his too but i'm just finding all this too much pressure financially.

Please help i cant stop crying it is so embarrasing x

Hi maddog, I'm not an expert on this, but I understand if you go to court they will go for a liability order.

Are you able to pay off the amount owing before the new "Council tax" year starts? If you contact the council direct and explain your difficulties and also your proposals for repayment, they "may" agree them, but still get this set in stone in court. You do not have to be present at the court hearing.

I think they do that so that if you don't keep to the agreement they can then send in the bailiffs:(.

If anyone has any better suggestions or if I'm wrong in my interpretation, please correct.

Are you really struggling to meet your existing commitments - do you have any debts you could "dispute", just to give you breathing space to get your council tax sorted out?

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

maddog69.

As has been said by jaxads, you do not need to go to court, all that will happen, is that the council WILL obtain a Liability order, that only means that you ARE Liable for the Council Tax that is outstanding, unless of course you can prove that you do NOT owe the outstanding balance.You must make an arrangement with the council to pay the arrears and stick to it, you have to show that you want to pay. They have been known not to seek a liability order and just accept your offer, even if they dont, keep on paying as much as you can afford to pay, the council are bound by STATUTE to accept your payments. If the worse comes to the worst and bailiffs are involved you must "NOT" under any circumstances invite them into your home as they will levy your goods. They have no power of entry into your home at this stage, keep any vehicles out the way as they will levy those.Some councils are quite reasonable if you stick to your payment plan, others are absolute *****.Beware of the council wanting to visit your home to come to an arrangement with you this means the ***** are coming to levy, always go to your local customer services centre to make the offer. Hope I have helped a little, someone will probably post more info for you. Best of luck. ;)

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Edited by JGJ
Faux Pas

Thanks for that both of you, i have contacted someone i know who works for the council, explaining my situation and the fact that I want to pay, she said it will be no problem because i have contacted them straight away they will help me to sort out a repayment plan with them!!:)

Thanks again for your help x

Well done maddog -- see that wasn't too bad;)

Now that you're here though, you might as well look at any charges you may be able to claim back from bank accounts / loans /credit cards, etc

Have a read around the site and see what you can find - you'll be amazed!!!

Best wishes.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Hi Maddog

I would strongly suggest that a couple of days after setting up the payment plan you ring the Council back and double check that the payment plan has actually been put into place.

I had done this and it has resulted in my Unfunny Comedy of Errors post!