Where do insurance companies get car details from for quotations?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:?: Can anyone advise what database car insurance companies pull your car details from when supplying a quote (i.e. You enter your reg number and your make, model, etc. are retrieved.)?

My first thoughts are it is the Motor Insurance Database (MID), but I would like to be sure before I start throwing letters around.

Quote systems are linked to the DVLA database so when a registration nember is input, it pull the make/model of the vehicle over. Very similar to when you input your address ( postcode & house number) into an address field, this links to the post office database I think.

The MID does not necessarily record the make and model of a vehicle as the only compulsory information required is the on/off date and registration number.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

Not all insurers use this though. Abbey did not on the grounds of cost and relied solely on the description given by the customer, though this may have changed since (if they still do motor insurance that is).

Thanks for the replies.

I've asked the insurance Co direct, but the CS rep did not know!

The background to this, is that I renewed my car insurance in December, going with a different company due to price. Went away over Christmas and insurance docs waiting when I got back home.

Made a call just to query how they want the NCD proof and whilst talking to CS rep, I noticed the Car Spec was wrong. The policy showed the basic model whereas my car is a top model. I duly notified the error to the CS rep.

So she put it into the PC and advised me that the higher Spec was some £60 more expensive. She asked at that point if I was happy to go ahead with that, I said obviously not but what choice do I have. Payment was made in full via Debit Card.

Following the call I got to thinking how I went about getting the quote as this is not something I would normally miss. To get the quote, you enter your Reg no and it returns your car details. The Insurance Co say to check the details are correct - I guess that is their get out caveat.

But, there has to be one of two things happening here.

1. Whichever database they are using is keeping incorrect data. Or
  2. They are getting the correct data, but putting the Car Spec to basic.

I know my details were correct with the DVLA and on the MID prior to the quote, so unless they are taken from elsewhere, then 1. is unlikely. But, if they have been sourced elsewhere, then the company holding/supplying the data must have a duty of care.

Making 2. the more likely reason. In the cut-throat market today, cheap price is king, so put the car to basic spec to show the cheapest price. When people spot it they will correct it for a revised quote. if people do not spot it they get hit for an increase in premium, plus admin charge for the change along the way.

In my case I have £30 premium increase and £30 admin charge. A girl in my office has been hit by exactly the same thing, but with a different company. Its costing her £320!

I'm figuring out an angle to demand my money back. At least the admin charge. But I am convinced this is deliberate. I'm just not sure how to get them investigated.

:?: Anyone got any thoughts on the above?

:?: Anyone experienced the same problem with incorrect car details?