rolling break clause: what is this??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am about to sign a 12 month AST with something that the landlord calls a "rolling break clause" but to me seems like a break clause that will only allow me and co-tenant to break contract at 6 month or at 12 month and nothing in between.

This is the wording in the contract

(1)If the Landlord desires to determine the Term granted (but not earlier than six months from the commencement date or the date of this Agreement whichever shall be the later) and shall give to the Tenant not less than two months written Notice but without prejudice to the rights and remedies of the Landlord against the Tenant in respect of any antecedent claim or breach of the Tenant’s obligations contained herein.

(2)If the Tenant desires to determine the Term hereby granted (but not earlier than six months from the commencement date or the date of this Agreement, whichever shall be later) and shall give to the Landlord not less than two months written Notice of such their desire than this Agreement shall cease and be void with effect from the expiration of the said Notice but without prejudice to the rights and remedies of the Landlord against the tenant in respect of any antecedent claim or breach of the Tenants obligation contained herein.

I have asked landord to add the words "at any time" in both clauses before the words "but not earlier than six months etc" but she has refused saying that solicitor suggested this wording as correct (a rolling break clause, she calls it).

I am clueless! All I want is to make sure I can break contract anytime after 6 months, given due notice. can you help??

That contract to me says that you can give notice any time after 6 months. I fail to see the "rolling" part, or anything explicitly or implicitly implying that you can only give notice at 6 or 12 months.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thank you Mr Shed

landlord also confirmed in email that

A rolling break clause means that after 6 months either of

us can give notice at any time. ie. It is a 12 month contract but we

can both serve notice but only after 6 months and any time up to 12

months.

This is what I wanted.

Excellent :)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!