Will insurers settle without a receipt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife lost her-expensive-designer glasses.

She had new lenses fitted to existing frames. We have found the receipt for the lenses which the insurers have settled in full but not the receipt for the older frames. Obviously the frames were also lost. Can we expect the insurers to pay an estimated value for the frames in the absence of a receipt?

Insurers will either have to replace the frames or give you enough cash to suitably replace the frames. If you cannot provide a receipt (I assume because your wife bought the glasses a fair while ago) then they will try and match an existing frame against your description to come up with an estimated value.

At this point they should put an offer to you, and then you will have to decide whether you want to accept it, or refuse it (with a counter-offer and reasons why you believe your offer is more reflective than the offer you were given).

In fact, I believe it is now prohibited to refuse a claim on the basis of absence of documents that cannot reasonably be expected to be produced (CPUTR app. 3).

So in short, the legal basis for what Wulfyn said!