Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder nickismee80 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2008

Default Car taken by police/local authority from car park without our knowledge.

Hey ya.. I was not sure which forum this may come under. My appologies if this is in the wrong place.

Tonight, the police/local authority's decided to remove our car under a clean up scheme. No letter through the dooricon explaining why, the first we noticed was when my husband was going to work at 5.45.

He returned home and rang the police who informed him they had called out a recovery company to remove the car, and they had every right to do this.. im sorry, but if someone takes a car isn't that called theft??

The car was still in MOT and taxed until the end of this month. It was in the car park around the corner from our house.

The only thing i can think of as why they took the car was it had been broken in to a couple of weeks ago and the drivers door window was smashed in. We covered this up best we could until we could afford to get it replaced.

The police are not willing to talk to us about this, only repeating they have every right to take our car and for us to ring the recovery company, which unfortunatly is closed now.

Luckily we have 2 cars, so my husband can still get to work.

i am unsure what to do now, i have a really bad idea that the recovery company are going to ask for money to release the car, money we just don't have. We can't even afford a replacement window!!!

Default Re: Car taken by police/local authority from car park without our knowledge.

My husband has just spoke to the police again and the car was taken by the COUNCILS request to huntingdon. 150 release fee plus 20 a day storage fee.

I think we are off to the council tomorrow to see what they are playing at.

Any advise with this would be very much apprciated.

Thanks

Royalties Account Holder Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Default Re: Car taken by police/local authority from car park without our knowledge.

You need to find the reason they saw fit to remove a legally taxed and registered car first off. A broken window does not make a car abandoned and I believe they have to attach a notice to it giving 14 days to remove to it will be removed.

I have read through the neighbourhood clean up scheme which i downloaded from defra's website..

quotes from it...

defintion of abandoned

(c) Stationary for a significant
    amount of time

it has been in the car park since xmas as that is when it got broken in to. We have moved it a couple of times to make sure its still running.

(d) could include vehicles
    with flat tyres, wheels removed
    or broken windows.

as i stated before, the window has been broken due to some oiks trying to nick the car.

35 Under a change introduced by the
    Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment
    Act, a 15-day notice is not required
    where a vehicle is abandoned on a ‘road’
    (within the meaning of section 142 the
    Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
    3).
    Section 142 defines a road as (in England
    and Wales)
    ‘any length of highway or
    of any other road to which the public
    has access, and includes bridges over
    which a road passes.’

This is a wide definition, and includes
    not only public rights of way, but also
    ways to which the public has access
    by permission of the landowner, rather
    than by right. It therefore includes access
    roads through estates that are owned by
    organisations such as housing associations
    or by the residents who live there
    It covers both the carriageway and the
    footpath, but a car park would not
    normally come within the definition
    of a road as its function is to enable
    people to leave their vehicle.

This makes me beleive they have taken the car illegally.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details