style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having read a lot of these posts, most people seem to be being harrassed by horrible companies for things they haven't done and I'm really sorry for you guys.

I, however, am a complete idiot and didn't pay my Council Tax because I couldn't afford to and it was a case of sitting on letters and pretending the debt didn't exist. It does and nearly two years down the line I have received many letters from various people and one that has finally kicked me up the arse and made me do aomething about it.

The letter is from a company called Marston Group and it's a Removal Notice for the sum of £2599.55. Moere than I can ever imagine owning! I rang the number on the letter and spoke to a lovely man (a complete shock in the world of owing money) and he explained that I needed to ring Marston and make an offer to pay some of this debt monthly and that they would be difficult but not to offer more than I can afford as this would end up pushing me further and further into trouble. He was actually surprisingly supportive and this made me realise that I just want to get it out of the way. He suggested that they couldn't "attend my premises with a locksmith and remove goods even in my absence" as long as I made an offer.

I was hoping that some of you wise people would be able to suggest to me how much I should offer. I know this is based entirely on what I can afford but to be totally honest I would struggle to pay £100 a month and I'm concerned that this would simply be laughed at by the people at Marstons. Urban legend says that they have to accept any offer made but I want to get my facts straight before someone bullies me on the phone and I end up promising my entire paycheck away.

I also read somewhere that I could return this debt to the Council or something, I'm not even entirely sure what this means or whether I've gone to far with the head beneath sand attitude but I'd like to know whether this is an option and if anybody knows about doing this or has experience of such.

I'm in such a horrible pickle, my mother helped me pay back a debt when I was at university but she took control of it all and I paid her back so I don't quite know what it entailed. I know that she paid £100 a month though and it was for a similar sum of student over-the-overdraft. I'm determined to put this behind me, tackle it sensibly and learn from these mistakes as on the cusp of my quarter century, I know that it's time I took responsibility for myself. But it's causing me sleepless nights again and I just want to get it sorted.

I was also wondering about a letter I've received from AIC regarding a British Gas debt, I rang them and offered to make a payment but they said this was impossible as it had come to them and they didn't offer that, I would have to pay it in full this month. This will be a complete headache and if needs must then I shall but I was wondering if they can do this and if there is any way I can make an offer with them.

Phew! Apologies for the lengthiness and thanks in advance,

D-E

• 2 weeks later...

You should make out a budget sheet with all you income and expenditure on. You should also include as a priority next years CT as this will have to be paid alongside any payments you make to your present arrears.

You say you will struggle to meet £100 pm, but you will be paying that just for next years tax in order to keep up to date and to get out of you debt cycle.

That's because they lost our money. You didn't think they would take it out of their own pockets do you?

Get yourself down to the CAB with all your documents and they should help you. It will be best to make an appointment.

Good luck.