Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder jan7777 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

Default Re: perfect homes / bright house!!

WOW !!!
    What a venomous response Queen Donna.
    A last word before i end this inane conversation.
    YOU CANNOT take out a hire purchase agreement with any store,especially the PH & BH you are referring to in your ill informed post,then decide you don't want the item after the initial cooling off period WITHOUT incurring a financial penalty of some form.
    Yet again did you understand the contract before you agreed and signed for it ?
    The repayments are calculated over a specific period of time so you are financially responsible to make the payments until the full amount is settled and the item then becomes your own.
    If for whatever reason a customer finds they can no longer afford to make the payments they agreed to make then the item may be returned to the store but you will never be allowed any other item ever again as you have breeched their contract terms and as such you become a liability even by their standards.
    Im sure others following this will be inclined to agree that the intention of this site is to help and share experiences with others in situations requiring HONEST advice from members of the public not to use it as a platform to repair a failing company image.
    Which store do you work for again ?

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    the West Midlands
    Blog Entries

Firstly, I am quite amazed at the unusally high hit count this particular thread has... over 13,000 views TO DATE!!! Something not quite right here... What's the big fuss??? (or am I missing something?)

OK - to put the last few posts to bed once and for all...

No - you CANNOT take out HIRE PURCHASE agreements, keep the stuff for a few weeks, and then return it, without a financial penalty. That is complete and total nonesence.
    Here's where you're getting confused: The clue is in the name of the agreement, it's called HIRE purchase...

Your statutory rights with a hire purchase are, along with other things, the RIGHT to terminate the agreement (withOUT financial penalty) if you have paid at least HALF of the total amount of the agreement. You can, of course, terminate the agreement at ANY time, but you will be required to make a final payment (equating to HALF of the total sum) to remain within the Law.

Now then, BrightHouse DO say that if you take their OPTIONAL SERVICE COVER) you CAN return the item (terminate the agreement) at ANY time - they even (in certain circumstances) allow you to re-start the agreement within a 12 month period (with items of a similar age and value) and take all previous payments into account. However, I have yet to hear of a satisfactory outcome in this situation, because by the time a customer feels they need to return an item, they have usually accrued arrears meaning the OPTIONAL SERVICE COVER is no longer in force.

Whether PERFECT HOMES or, indeed, buy as you viewicon offer similar deals I don't know... but as both of the above companies simply copy the BRIGHTHOUSE business model it is very likely.

Either way, you ARE going to suffer a financial penalty. With OPTIONAL SERVICE COVER attached to a weekly HIRE PURCHASE agreement you will, on average, be paying around 35% MORE per week. A typical computer laptop agreement would require a weekly payment of around 20 per week (90 per month)

Hope this clears it up.

Cheers
    Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

Thanks Lefty for properly explaining the meaning of Hire Purchase.
    (I know what I mean but sometimes don’t explain myself as well as you have)I believe there have been 13,000 views following this subject; obviously it is of great concern to many!
    I think maybe there has been so much interesticon in this topic simply because both PH & BH have thousands of customers who don't fully understand the contract they have entered into.
    Could someone fully explain in PLAIN ENGLISH the options and choices available to customers of Perfect Home & Bright House before they enter into agreements/contracts and how to cancel optional features they may have signed up for but no longer require.
    Specifically their COVERPLUS WARRANTY (otherwise known as FIXED SUM-LOAN AGREEMENT) & OPTIONAL SERVICE COVER PLAN!
    I hope someone can provide a conclusive & clear definition of Perfect Homes & Bright house agreements/contracts as it will offer people a choice of making a fully informed decision before entering into agreements/contracts they feel obliged or required to agree to.
    There are so many diverse reasons people find themselves in financial difficulties, bad choices, bad decisions and bad luck are just some of the contributing factors.
    Anyone shopping with either store will usually have some form of bad credit history.
    I’m in the process of dragging myself out of the horrors of having a bad credit profile myself so I’m not preaching or looking down my nose at anyone in any way.
    Perfect Homes staff are really pleasant, the products are good, the actual hire purchase fees are not much different to many other store prices, the APR% is slightly inflated but not extortionate.
    Obviously cash is limited for PH & BH customers or they would buy elsewhere a lot cheaper.
    The problem I have is with the Coverplus Warranty or Option Service Cover Plans.
    These plans are not fully explained and usually skirted over at the time of signing the contract/agreement and automatically included in the weekly payments. The reason for this is that the staff receive an incentive/commission on each plan they sell. The added expense of the optional cover plans is not taken into consideration when staff calculate the maximum credit allowance a customer can spend in proportion to their income which can mislead/ influence customers into entering an agreement that they may have decided against if they had been fully informed. Should they default then COVERPLUS/ OPTIONAL SERVICE PLANS & TAD are no longer valid which means a load of wasted cash on protection/service plans that don't protect at all when needed.
    Both stores are aware that some of their customers are at a disadvantage regarding their choice of stores with whom they may obtain credit and PH & BH take full advantage of the fact.
    Customers of these shops mostly have a limited income and the overpriced, unnecessary COVERPLUS Plans etc are only helping keep people in further debt.
    Obviously I would expect to pay a higher APR on my agreements than if I had a good credit record as the store is taking a financial risk allowing me credit and I accept that completely.
    When you buy new shoes the salesperson will usually try and sell you a special cleaner or polish at an over inflated price , we all usually have something similar at home or can buy cheaper elsewhere so we say NO because we know we don't need it and it would be a waste of our money .
    The CoverPlus /Optional Service plans are exactly the same in principal.
    BY OPTING OUT of such plans peoples weekly payments would be reduced dramatically therefore allowing people the chance of comfortably affording the item for the duration of the hire purchase agreement.

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty Highly informative Lefty's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    the West Midlands
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jan7777 View Post
    Could someone fully explain in PLAIN ENGLISH the options and choices available to customers of Perfect Home & Bright House before they enter into agreements/contracts and how to cancel optional features they may have signed up for but no longer require.
    Specifically their COVERPLUS WARRANTY (otherwise known as FIXED SUM-LOAN AGREEMENT) & OPTIONAL SERVICE COVER PLAN!
    There is a CAG BrightHouse Fact Sheet which explains everything regarding Hire Purchase, OSC, DLC (and how to cancel them) plus many, many more tips with dealing with BrightHouse. I'm pretty sure that most of the fact sheet can equally apply to Perfect Homes and bayvicon. You can see the entire document HERE

However, seeing as this thread has been attracting a very high number of views (mainly from guests it would appear) I will post a few relevant extracts here...

(Please read the full document to avoid any of the below being taken "out of context" - they are just extracts...)

Cheers
    Lefty

1 – HIRE PURCHASE AGREEMENTS

When you enter into an agreement with BrightHouse, you are entering into a HIRE PURCHASE (sometimes referred to as “rent-to-own”) credit agreement. Hire purchase agreements are governed by THE consumer crediticon ACT 1974 and goods being hired (purchased) are subject to the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973 (see section 5 below). Your agreement will be based on the original “cash” price of the goods, plus interesticon (APR) at 29.9%, resulting in a total amount payable. This figure will then be divided equally to provide your weekly (or monthly) payment. You will be required to make your payments IN ADVANCE for the duration of your agreement – which could range from 52 weeks to 156 weeks, dependant upon the value of the goods.

When you have made all the payments on your agreement, you may (in writing - and within a 30 day period) exercise the option to have title (ownership) of the goods transferred to you. If you choose not to exercise this option, you can simply return the goods, and receive a discount (based on their current re-sale value) towards a new Hire Purchase agreement with BrightHouse.

Other than at the end of an agreement, and if title (ownership) is transferred, the goods belong to BrightHouse at all times. You cannot sell them or dispose of them in any way.

However, even though the goods belong to BrightHouse at all times, this does NOT mean they can just stroll into your home and remove them if you get into payment difficulties. Unless you have actually consented to their removal, BrightHouse cannot legally remove (re-possess) them until they have:

a) Issued you with a default notice (in writing)
    b) Given you an opportunity to put matters right (at least 14 days)
    c) Applied for (and been granted) a court order

These issues will be explained in more detail in a moment, but it is important to remember that: AT NO TIME CAN ANY EMPLOYEE (OR AGENT) OF BRIGHTHOUSE FORCIBLY ENTER YOUR HOME

If you do get into payment difficulties, your first recourse should be to try and address the problem yourself. You should do everything you can to bring your account up to date. If you find you cannot afford the regular repayments, you should decide whether you really need the goods and consider returning them. (Your agreement allows you to do this, without financial penalty, if you have paid more than half of the instalments on it.)

Sometimes people’s circumstances can change, often resulting in a drop of income. BrightHouse make absolutely no provision for this, and totally refuse to negotiate any form of reduced payments – even for a short time. However, it may be possible to dramatically reduce your payments by cancelling any Optional Service Cover policies you have. (More about this in section 2 below.)

If you have paid more than one third of your agreement total, BrightHouse must seek a court order before they can re-posses their goods – which are now considered as “protected goods”. (Note - if, after one third of the agreement total has been paid and BrightHouse do re-posses their goods without a court order and without your permission, then Brighthouse are in breach of their agreement and you are entitled to claim back all payments made previously on it.)

Even if you have NOT paid more than one third of your agreement total, BrightHouse must still seek a court order (return order) to re-posses goods from your home - even then they cannot forcibly enter. They can, however, re-posses their goods if they are in a public place.

If BrightHouse do decide to apply for a re-possession order (or return order), you will be notified of the hearing date and you will have the opportunity to put your case forward in court. If you want to keep the goods (and continue with your agreement) you must show the court you can still afford the repayments, and you should make a reasonable offer to reduce your arrears. The court will make a judgement and, if acceptable, order BrightHouse to accept your offer.

If you have paid more than half of the instalments on your agreement you may, if you wish, return the goods voluntarily and without any penalty.

More often, and as an alternative to court action (BrightHouse don’t appear to like going to court), you will probably get the offer of an account re-set. This entails signing a new agreement, which takes your outstanding balance, PLUS your arrears and starts “fresh” with a BRAND NEW agreement spread over a slightly longer period.

You should think very carefully before agreeing to this, because you risk losing all the rights you have accrued regarding repossession and early settlement, making it easier for BrightHouse to repossess their goods should you get into difficulty again.

2 – “OPTIONAL” SERVICE COVER (OSC)

(or COVERPLUS/FIXED LOAN SUM AGREEMENT)

“Optional Service Cover” (non-insured) contracts are provided by BrightHouse themselves, and added to your hire purchase agreement as an additional weekly/monthly payment.

“…BrightHouse offers Optional Service Cover. This offers a convenient and effective means of getting goods, which customers use on a daily basis, repaired quickly and to a reliable standard. In addition it provides “No Quibble Returns” and “Start Where You Left Off” services that help customers with payment problems. These measures assist customers and make our service cover unique.”

You should consider cancelling any “Optional” Service Cover policies you have now! Because:

a) You can return the goods, if necessary, without penalty if you have paid more than half the agreement total. You do not need an expensive insurance policy in order to do this.

b) The service cover is often applied automatically without giving you the option to choose whether you required it or not, and

c) the service cover is extremely over-priced (and totally unnecessary as you already have statutory rights), plus it represents very poor value for money when compared to a typical manufacturer’s own extended warrantyicon as the example below shows…

extended warrantyicon direct from ACER for a 15.4” Laptop - Available upon registering a new ACER product, or at the end of the manufacturer’s 12 month guarantee period

A single one off payment of 49.99 which provides an additional 2 years of cover to the initial 12 months guarantee period, giving a total of 3 years cover. This cover includes collection and return, all parts and labour, repairs within 5 days or a brand new replacement product if not completed within 28 days.

Caversham Finance (Trading as BrightHouse) “optional” service cover

104 weekly payments of 5.95 (total 618.80) providing service cover for the 2-year duration of the agreement. As ACER guarantee all new products for the first twelve months regardless, this figure only represents one year of actual extended service cover. The cost of this cover is extortionate and, quite simply, cannot be justified.

Of course, “Optional” Service Cover isn’t really service cover at all. As we’ve already established, all new products are subject to a 12 months manufacturer’s warranty, (which, of course, is in addition to your statutory rights – more about that later…) and any volume purchaser like BrightHouse will be able to negotiate massive discounts with outside service agents for any repairs that may occur at other times. No. “Optional” Service Cover is just a thinly disguised payment protection plan that HUGELY inflates the overall cost of the product, and protects the interests of BrightHouse and NOT you!

BrightHouse also appear somewhat confused over the word “optional”. According to their own terms and conditions, “optional” service cover is an “option” to purchase at the time of the initial agreement, and cancellation thereafter will require 7 days notice. However, BrightHouse staff told us that “optional” means the option not to purchase the service cover can only be exercised at the time of the initial agreement and, furthermore, cannot be removed thereafter!

This is total nonsense. Service cover is optional and can be removed. Of course, any attempt to remove it will invoke fierce resistance from BrightHouse! Local store managers, under pressure from their area managers, will have stringent sales targets to meet, and the revenue generated by “Optional” Service Cover policies is vital to them.

You should also be aware that BrightHouse has the right to terminate your "Optional" Service Cover policy with just 7 days notice to you. They have been known to apply this clause if an item is deemed “beyond economic repair” leaving you considerably out of pocket (and left with nothing) when this happens towards the end of an agreement. In contrast, a typical manufacturer’s own extended warranty would, at least, result in a refund of the premium paid.

“…Customers fully understand their rights and obligations under the agreement. The terms and conditions are fully explained to them before they sign the contract. In addition to the purchase of goods through a Hire Purchase contract, customers may choose to take advantage of Optional Service Cover. This cover is optional, and the customer has the right to cancel it at any time.”

To remove optional service cover from your agreement(s), put a request in writing to your store (and to head office). Once this has been done the store has to comply with your request. Use a letter similar to this one:

Item Description/Account Number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sir

I am writing to give the required 7 days notice, as detailed in my agreement(s) that I wish to cancel all "optional" service cover on the above product(s). To simplify matters, I have today (date) presented a copy of this letter to the store manager of Brighthouse (Branch), which has been duly acknowledged, so 7 days notice shall commence at the date of this letter.

As stated in my agreement:

“Your Obligations: Optional Service Cover
    Section C (b) The service cover premium is renewable each time your regular instalment is due under the agreement. If the premium is not paid Service Cover will lapse.

Section H (3) This policy shall continue in force until you give seven days notice…”

I shall, therefore, be making my next payment on (day) at Brighthouse (branch). This payment will not include "optional" service cover.

I understand that I may be required to sign a revised agreement. I will only do this on the firm understanding that all payments made previously on this agreement are reflected in any revised agreement. I do not waive any of my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement.

Kind Regards
    You

In much the same as an account re-set (see above) the removal of Optional Service Cover will usually result in a new agreement having to be signed. This is because the weekly premium for it is incorporated into the weekly payment schedule.

3 - DAMAGE LIABILITY COVER (DLC)

(or Theft and Damage Cover TAD)

“Damage Liability Cover” insurance policies are underwritten by BrightHouse themselves (through associate company Caversham Insurance (Malta) Ltd), and added to your hire purchase agreement as yet another additional weekly/monthly payment.

“…We may require you to take out Damage Liability Cover if you do not have home contents cover…”

Actually, there is very little “may require” about it. This additional insurance policy (around 250 on a 800 cash price product) is loaded AUTOMATICALLY and will only be removed if you can supply proof of "suitable" home contents insuranceicon. (Of course, BrightHouse reserve the right to determine what is and what is not "suitable". In fact, very few home contents policies will specifically include items subject to a hire purchase agreement, and agree to settle with the finance company in the result of a claim.)

To remove DLC you must be able to show you have your own home contents policy which must state THE POLICY HOLDER IS COVERED FOR ITEMS SUBJECT TO A HIRE PURCHASE AGREEMENT AND FOR WHICH THE POLICY HOLDER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR.

Nevertheless, you are led to believe this insurance covers the goods for damage, theft, fire, flood etc. But, unlike “real” home contents insurance it WILL NOT provide you with any replacement should it become necessary (not even like-for-like), and will only ever, at best, release you from your agreement with BrightHouse. You end up with NOTHING. In fact, you may even end up with a policy excess to pay (up to 100 in some cases) particularly on portable items – laptops, cameras and game consoles for instance.

Furthermore, in the event of a claim, the store manager will have the final say as to whether the policy should apply. He may, for instance, decide the goods where stolen or damaged because you didn’t secure or look after them adequately

Most people - even those who live in "high risk" insurance areas - can insure the entire contents of their home for less than BrightHouse charge for Damage Liability Cover on a single item!

Basically, “Optional Service Cover” (above) and “Damage Liability Cover” is just one big payment protection policy split into two (thus disguising its true purpose) and, typically, BrightHouse will rely on your lack of knowledge and understanding when applying it. The two policies combined – and based upon a typical 800 cash price product – will eventually add around an extra 850.00 to your agreement.

With this in mind, and taking into account the inflated “cash” price and 29.9% APR, it means that, on average, goods purchased from BrightHouse, with Optional Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover policies attached, will end up being almost FOUR times as expensive than if you had purchased them (outright) elsewhere. By their own admission, BrightHouse claim that around 90% of their customers have Optional Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover attached to their agreements.

5 – YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS AND THE SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973

Even if you do not have “Optional” Service Cover on your agreement(s), and the goods develop a fault, don’t be fobbed off with any rubbish that repairs have to be paid for and the responsibility lies with you. Regardless of how old your product is, and assuming it's been used correctly and in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, then BrightHouse have a LEGAL duty to comply with the SUPPLY OF GOOD (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973 and either refund, replace or repair (dependant upon how old the goods are) as necessary.

Contrary to popular belief, your basic consumer rights DO NOT expire after 12 months! A new product should be of "satisfactory" quality, "fit for the purpose", "free from defects", "safe" and "DURABLE." The act relies on how a "reasonable" person would define "satisfactory" - and (in the case of a freezer, cooker or high end electrical product) a "reasonable" person would expect a new product to last considerably longer than 12 months! High-end electrical products and most domestic appliances should have a useable life expectancy of anything between 4 - 18 years!!!!!

Your rights under the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973 can last for up to six years!

It is worth noting that BrightHouse frequently supply second hand goods. Of course, they prefer to describe them as “quality refurbished”, but the bottom line is they will be used, re-possessed or repaired products – often up to 3 years old. Your rights under the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973 are somewhat more limited when it comes to second hand goods. You should, therefore, refuse to accept any goods from BrightHouse unless they are clearly described as “new” on your agreement.

Here are some links for further reading:

HIRE PURCHASE AND DEBT - from direct gov uk

HOW TO DEAL WITH HIRE PURCHASE DEBT - from national debtline

( both links are written in good old plain English! )

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

Thankyou !
    I think you have probably just saved lots of people lots of money.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    the West Midlands
    Blog Entries

Another 400+ views on this thread in less than 4 days... Interesting... Very interesting...

Cheers
    Lefty

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Another 400+ views on this thread in less than 4 days... Interesting... Very interesting...

Cheers
    Lefty
    Hi ive just sent a private message to you , if poss could u have a quick look ?
    Thanks
    Jan

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    the West Midlands
    Blog Entries

...Another 150 views since this time last night!!!

Hmmmm....

Cheers
    Lefty

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder neelie Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

iv been reading up on perfecthomes as my friends brother has a sofa and tv from there, the sofa has previosly been repaired due to burning from a radiator, i have a leather sofa myself which is pushed against the radiator all the time and my sofa has never burnt, so im wondering if the sofa from perfecthomes is really leather and how would we find out, i purchased the black sofa december 08 and all the seams have turned grey and iv asked numerous times in store for a replacement but to no avail, i have maintenance vouchers for tv and sofa in 2 separate policys and i also have the coverplus is any of this actually required by law, and is the coverplus from atlas insurance in malta legit because iv traced atlas insurance and it does health insurance, home insuranceicon, car insuranceicon and travel insurance but does not state single item insurance any advice greatly appreciated .

Basic Account Holder liverpoolste10 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

hi does anybody have the phone number to the perfect homes head office please

Basic Account Holder meffie Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

Angry Re: perfect homes / bright house!!

Can somebody help me,
    Up until now I have had a relatively good relationship with my local PerfectHomes store, that is until I got married and through admittedly my own fault through plain absentedmindedness forgot to pay !!( silly mare) before I went on my honeymoonicon My local store were very understanding in particular that because of adverse weather conditions we got stranded abroad for 24 hours and again when I returned to the UK was delayed in Manchester for a further length of time. I was grateful for their understanding and the fact that these delays had eaten into my funds and left me without means to pay what was 4 weeks payments. I offered a substantial amount , which they were quick enough to take from me saying that a manager from the finance company TEMPLE FINANCE would be in touch the next day to negotiate but he would likely want full payment, nearly 200 by the end of the week.

A Week later the said manager phoned up, I wont mention his name but his name sake is a professional footballer who has recently moved to Manchester Utd after a long spell feigning injury at Newcastle Utd!!. He instantly went into what sounded likje a well rehearsed and threatening 'were going to come and take all our property away' speech this was done at 100decibels. I am not easily intimidated but the tone in which he spoke to me made me feel like pondlife. I have always been a good customer and was prepared to make a deal as the reminder posted to me said I could do. Mr Scouse footballers namesake was having none of . I asked to speak to his manager, the person who he called BOSS!. To which I was told I AM THE BOSS! I WANT PAID UP TO DATE THIS WEEK OR I AM GOING TO SEND THE BOYS OUT FOR MY( Temple Finances) BELONGINGS!I told him he would get the equivalant of two weeks payment that week and he could like it or lump it, My hubby at this point who was listening to the conversation demanded I put the phone down because of how stressed the phone callicon was making me.

I phoned the customer service desk who rang me back 24 hrs later. I AM STILL WAITING for the regional manager for the Tyneside area ( thats not name dropping is it?) to call me to resolve this matter. I have however been receiving anonymous or should I say unnamed text messages on my phone form Temple Finance demanding i pay such and such PLEASE .This anonymity leaves me feeling threatened and my hubby has requested via the shop that they contact him in future due to my health.

It is a standing joke apparently at the shop the fact that I havnt resolved this issue. When my daughter goes into pay they openly in front of other customers refer to her as the good member of the family! In total my arrears are less than 50 I pay my weekly payment plus a minimum amount extra... until this company has the common decency to resolve this issue then I will continue to do this, some say Im cutting my nose off to spite my face but to me its principle?

Your comments would be gratefully received, I have threatened them (yes me) that as it appears my original complaint is escalating I would have to make my complaints public knowledge so there you go HERE IT IS!

Come on PerfectHomes, I havnt given my name but you should know who I am, or am I just one of many?

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    the West Midlands
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meffie View Post
    Can somebody help me,
    Up until now I have had a relatively good relationship with my local PerfectHomes store, that is until I got married and through admittedly my own fault through plain absentedmindedness forgot to pay !!( silly mare) before I went on my honeymoonicon My local store were very understanding in particular that because of adverse weather conditions we got stranded abroad for 24 hours and again when I returned to the UK was delayed in Manchester for a further length of time. I was grateful for their understanding and the fact that these delays had eaten into my funds and left me without means to pay what was 4 weeks payments. I offered a substantial amount , which they were quick enough to take from me saying that a manager from the finance company TEMPLE FINANCE would be in touch the next day to negotiate but he would likely want full payment, nearly 200 by the end of the week.

A Week later the said manager phoned up, I wont mention his name but his name sake is a professional footballer who has recently moved to Manchester Utd after a long spell feigning injury at Newcastle Utd!!. He instantly went into what sounded likje a well rehearsed and threatening 'were going to come and take all our property away' speech this was done at 100decibels. I am not easily intimidated but the tone in which he spoke to me made me feel like pondlife. I have always been a good customer and was prepared to make a deal as the reminder posted to me said I could do. Mr Scouse footballers namesake was having none of . I asked to speak to his manager, the person who he called BOSS!. To which I was told I AM THE BOSS! I WANT PAID UP TO DATE THIS WEEK OR I AM GOING TO SEND THE BOYS OUT FOR MY( Temple Finances) BELONGINGS!I told him he would get the equivalant of two weeks payment that week and he could like it or lump it, My hubby at this point who was listening to the conversation demanded I put the phone down because of how stressed the phone callicon was making me.

I phoned the customer service desk who rang me back 24 hrs later. I AM STILL WAITING for the regional manager for the Tyneside area ( thats not name dropping is it?) to call me to resolve this matter. I have however been receiving anonymous or should I say unnamed text messages on my phone form Temple Finance demanding i pay such and such PLEASE .This anonymity leaves me feeling threatened and my hubby has requested via the shop that they contact him in future due to my health.

It is a standing joke apparently at the shop the fact that I havnt resolved this issue. When my daughter goes into pay they openly in front of other customers refer to her as the good member of the family! In total my arrears are less than 50 I pay my weekly payment plus a minimum amount extra... until this company has the common decency to resolve this issue then I will continue to do this, some say Im cutting my nose off to spite my face but to me its principle?

Your comments would be gratefully received, I have threatened them (yes me) that as it appears my original complaint is escalating I would have to make my complaints public knowledge so there you go HERE IT IS!

Come on PerfectHomes, I havnt given my name but you should know who I am, or am I just one of many?
    Hi Meffie

As far as the CAGicon site team is aware, no official representative for Perfect Home has registered here in order to answer any customer complaints about them... (of course, that doesn't mean Perfect Home don't read them, it just means they don't comment (and judging by the unusually high read count this particular thread has, it does make you wonder...)

As long as you are making all reasonable attempts to bring your account up to date, and you aren't DELIBERATELY withholding payment, you are doing the right thing.

If Perfect Home aren't happy with the way you are handling your account, then they must:

1 - Issue you with a default notice

2 - Give you an opportunity to put matters right (or come to an acceptable payment plan) - and they must give you at least fourteen days to do this

3 - Apply for, and have granted, a county courticon "return" order which forces YOU to return the goods to PERFECT HOME.

Now then, if you HAVE been making all reasonable attempts to bring your account up to date (and have kept the company informed of any problems you may have had) then a court would be unlikely to rule in favour of Perfect Home, and would order the company to agree to accept a "reasonable" amount on top of your regular payments to cover any accrued arrears.

The goods (although the absolute property of Perfect Home until your final payment) cannot be repossessed from your home without your consent, and no representative from Perfect Home has any implied (or otherwise) right of entry.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Lefty

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder annoyed!! Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2010

1. HI i joined perfect homes in November 2009, i purchased a wide screen TV from them. since i joined them i have been a loyal customer, and have not missed a payment.. that was until 2 weeks into January this year. when i joined i signed a form allowing my local store to take my payment from my bank account every week. every thing seemed to be fine, until i got a phone callicon 4 days after my payment date informing me that my payment had been declined?? i stated there should not have been a reason why my payment should have been declined as i always make sure that i have the funds in my bank! i asked why i was only getting a phone callicon now 4 days after the day i usually pay on?? because as far as i was aware the payment had been taken. i was told the payment had not been taken and if i did not pay that week, i would incur a late payment charge of 3 pounds plus i would have to pay double the week after. i told them they where at fault, they know my payment day. so why was i only getting a phone callicon 4 days later demanding the payment? i asked them would they put the missed payment to the end of my agreement and i wanted the charge removed as it was unfair!! i was told in no uncertain terms that the answer was no!! and was basically threatened with the usual palaver that if i did not pay then the goods will be removed BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH!! the managers attitude was atrocious, which then got my back up. and believe me im not one to be intimidated!! after a few crossed words they finally agreed to take the late payment off (although i don't believe they really have!! its no doubt been put onto the end of my account some where!!) i then payed double the week after, i was not happy about this but to save myself upset i agreed.
    2. everything seemed fine after that, my payments where taken as usual every week from my bank.. until this week and AGAIN guess what happened!! yes exactly the same thing!! again a phone call 4 days later informing me that the payment had not been received. i again stated to them why am i only getting the phone call now and not on the day i usually pay?? i suppose i should have learnt from the 1st time and checked my account but i have various bills coming out on the same day and i pay for my shopping etc on my card, so i haven't noticed that they have not taken there payment.
    3. again i spoke to the same manager, again her attitude was atrocious!! i told them that this was out of order they cant keep doing this to me!! AGAIN!! they would not accept they where at fault and i have to pay double next week plus the LATE PAYMENT CHARGE!!! hmmm its making me wonder if they are doing this on purpose just so they can incur the late payment charges!!
    4. i rang head office to complain and also complain about the manager and her attitude!! i was told they would look into it and phone me back.. they did so this morning, and to cut a story short i am basically banging my head against a brick wall, they are causing me undue upset, it seems they couldn't give a toss, there policy is if u don't pay on time EVEN WHEN THEY ARE THE ONES AT FAULT!! then there employees can speak to you in any manner they want!!
    5. all in all i refuse to pay the late payment charge and refuse to pay double payment next week!! i have now decided that i will be phoning the store to make my payments, as i am not leaving it down to there COW BOY antics!! they are not reliable enough to make sure the payment is sorted on the day it should be!!
    6. any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

Basic Account Holder QUEEN BEE Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2010

all this moanin about the likes of perfecthome and bright house, well heres how it is firstly when u enter a contract with these companies everything is explained to u about late payments, how much u will pay back etc, etc so the answer to all the moans and groans is easy simply pay on time like u agreed to when u signed up, if ur moaning about late charges u have no doubt gone late so stop moaning and pay up. i'm a customer with both and i dont go late i pay on time like i agreed to when i signed up.

Basic Account Holder jb7 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2010

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me.

My mother has been a customer of perfecthome for a couple of years now, and the payments are crippling her, she purchased a bed and a washing machine from them at ridiculous amounts, which, of course was her mistake.

She needs these items and is on benefits, but i have noticed the amount she pays on their Optional Service Cover is almost half of the payments.

I always thought that with warrenties and cover there was a cancellation clause that could be put into affect, however, perfecthome have refused my many requests for a copy of the service agreement and my mother says she was never furnished with one.

I would appreciate any advice or comments from those who have either found out any information on this company, or have a copy of the agreement at all.

Basic Account Holder Jenni85 Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2009

Red face Re: perfect homes / bright house!!

Ok I work for perfect home and have found this thread very interesting!
    People can return things without financial penalty if they have coverplus as this gives you the 'right to return' whatever the reason!
    If anyone wants to know anything about the contract/t&c's let me know. I work in sales for them so know the 'contract close' off by heart!!
    Jen x

ps we're not THAT bad, we go through the contract with the customer BEFORE they sign. That's the way we're trained!!

Basic Account Holder jb7 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2010

Hi Jen

I'm wondering, does your cover allow for cancellation after it has been taken out, as per my post above?

Thanks in advance

Basic Account Holder Jenni85 Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2009

If you have coverplus, then yes. When you take out your contract we go through a PowerPoint presentation called your contact close. On this, the features of coverplus are:
    * maintenance cover for the length if the agreement (extended waranty)
    *loan product should yours be sent for repair (doesn't include pcs, laptops and games consoles)
    * right to return( provided the goods are in a decent condition)

hope this helps

Jen
    x

Basic Account Holder MR&MRS D Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2010

Hi, Just wanted some advice on what rights i have with Perfect Homes. I am on a weekly payment contract with my local PH store and usually pay every tuesday at the store with cash. This week i was admitted to hospital and was unable to make my payment. I got a call today from a VERY arrogant salesman who demanded my payment immediatley. I informed him that due to me being in hospital since monday and having a major op whilst there i would be paying 2 weeks this week to bring my account up to date. I was told in no uncertain terms that this is breaking my contract and the collectors will be out today to collect my telly!! I was also told that i am actually 11 in credit and that could be knocked off my payment thus leaving 9 to pay! I was asked what has happened to OUR money from last week and was told that i CANNOT treat them like this!! I have made a payment on my mothers card but was wondering if this is normal practice and are they actually allowed to intimidate me like that? Any help would be appreciated!

Basic Account Holder Budsy Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2010

Angry Re: perfect homes / bright house!!

Hi Im having a stressful time with perfect homes, my father passed away and i had to help with funeralicon cost and was unable to pay perfect homes.I'm 4 weeks late and offered to pay them today 200 and pay the rest next tuesday. They said they couldn't take the payment they want 240 but I have no other funds. They have told me a man will come from temple finance and collect the goods.I have had a problem with them once before and did have the man from temple finance at my door he sat outside for 2hrs I spoke to him and he said he wanted the goods.I tried to ring head office but there is no land line only mobile numbers.So when i went out to the man in the van I asked him for a land line to speak to the manager of the finance company.He replied I am the boss and i want the goods so will you let me in.I refused entry and it became rather nasty.I did tell him that if he wanted to speak to my sociltor he was welcome to.He said he doesn't deal with socilors.I find them a nasty company (bully) with there threating behavour like nasty text messages demanding money on your door step coming everyday sometimes twice aday.Dont let them if you have paid over the amount they have to get a court order.I have 8 months left on mine and they are still coming to my door and texting me saying they are coming for goods.I just reply well I hope you have all the cash with you that I have paid.Enough is enough trying to scare people im now taking further action against them because its bad lending.I'm writing this message and guess whos at my door.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE