Help Needed Recovery Of Hb Overpaynment But With A Strange Twist: Can They Do This?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok so i'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place but here goes...

Sorry but it's Lo------ng LOL

When my husband died in may 2006 It took me a couple of weeks to get my head straight and sort out some things, My housing benefit being one of those things.

Approx 2 weeks after he died I called to ask what I needed to do in regards to our claim and got together everyhing including a new claim form and took it along to the HB office at the council offices.

After a few weeks Ihadn't heard anything so called to find out what was going on and they had no record of my claim!!

By this time it was the end of August /begining of September and I had to then fill out another form (I seem to have had to do this many many times over the past 15 years with this council They are always saying they haven't received forms sent to them and one year I had to send it 3times) I took this one in and this time got a receipt for it (i put it away safely but as usual too safe cause now even I can't find it TYPICAL!!)

They finally sorted it out in September 2006

I have recently found out that they have been taking an overpayment of HB (Paid in my husbands name from May '06 - September '06) from MY Housing Benefit at £9.50 per week which has caused me arreers in my rent to the tune of approx £1300.

They only started recovery about a year after he died and without telling me!

I went and saw our housing associations welfare rights officer about it and she says that they cant do this.

She quoted from a hand book thats says they can only recovery overpayment to one claiment from another claiment if they are both still living in the same house!

Well clearly we're NOT, I live in the house and Well, he live in HEAVEN ( LOL I've managed to keep hold of my sense of humour, JUST) )so we're Obviously not still living together ( Although he may not live here I swear he still resides here with all the strange goings on we have around the house (you have to laugh or you cry) )

ANYWAY to get to the point...

Does anyone know if this is right? Cause if it is I want my money back. I've paid them £683.57 so far even though I didn't know I was doing so.

Can I send them a SAR to find out just what has been going on? And if so how should I word it?

They cocked it up not me, I don't mind paying back the overpayment from those 1st couple of weeks after he died but they recon I was over paid £1085.37 and those couple of week only add up to about £240.

Any and all help and suggestions would be greatfully received .

Thanks for reading this far

Belville

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:)Surely life can't get any worse it has to only get better from hear on out:)

LTSB- My claim like thousands of others is Stayed

Cap 1-See my tread about that one

Barclaycard- Won before court stage

GE capital -2 accounts and LTSB card letter asking for refund stage (Waiting for out come of the above to carry on with these ones )

Sars sent for all my mums accounts

About to start PPI claims on My Mums accounts