council delivering another bin!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My local council has sent a leaflet to me telling me that they are delivering another bin and changing the way they collect our refuse. I don't want a 4th bin as I already have limited space and when I recycle I take my waste to tesco's or sainsburys. What I want to know is whether I can legally opt out of this and ask them not to deliver another bin.

Well, some councils will only collect from the relevant bin at the time, have you tried asking them to take the extra bins away?

I would have thought that you can refuse another bin but it might not be in your best interests to do so, check out your local authority web site and see what it says.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I haven't asked them anything yet, I thought it would be wise to find out if I have any legal rights with regards to opting out of this "new" scheme.

I have just looked on the website and there is no imformation about opting out, only information about why they are implementing this scheme. I personally don't agree with their reason's but that is besides the point, I just don't want another smelly bin cluttering up my property and giving me another eye-sore to enjoy in the garden.

I never could understand why people complained about the wheelie bins unless they didn't have enough space for them, but 4 bins does sound excessive, we only have 2.What are they all for?

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

I have had another look at their website. They are apparently replacing the red boxes with a blue lidded bin so I guess it will only be 3 bins not 4. Below is what they are being used for.

Recycling - Blue Lidded Bin

BlueLidBin_small.gif

Paper

Card & cardboard

Food and drink cans

Aerosols

Foil

Glass bottles & jars

Plastic bottles

Plastic Containers such as yogurt pots, meat trays, fruit punnets and margarine tubs

Drink cartons

This bin will be collected fortnightly.

Garden and Food Waste - Green Bin

GreenBin_small.gif

Garden waste

Raw & cooked food

Fruit & Vegetables

Meat & fish inc bones

Dairy products

Rice, pasta & beans

Uneaten food from plates & dishes

This bin will be collected fortnightly.

Black Bin

BlackBin_small.gif

By providing additional recycling and food waste

collections, the amount of

non-recyclable waste you will have left will reduce significantly.

Please place any waste that can not be recycled in your black bin.

This material will go to landfill.

This bin will also be collected fortnightly.

Think what concerns me here is why does the glass go in the blue lidded bin very dangerous is that.

I was a Bin Man collecting recyclables until i got made redundant and the amount of times i had cut fingers is unbelievable.

Is also dangerous to the guys that sort it as by then the glass has mostly broken.

Where i live we have 2 wheely bins one for recycleables one for land fill items and a small bin for glass.

the glass being tipped into side compartments on the lorry so it does not get mixed with paper and cardboard etc.

Does seem that your council is collecting it in an expensive way and not showing consideration of the health and safety act.

Regards

Pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

our council has also lost millions that it had "saved" in icelandic banks as well and that is part of the reason I am annoyed with this expensive scheme. We have had council tax rises several times over the last few years yet they still had spare cash to wrongly invest in a failing economy.

Anyway, going back to my original query, does anyone have any idea if I can legally challenge this ridiculous scheme?

I take it the grey bin is for things that don't come into either catagory such as butter wrapping?

Conniff,

I am assuming it will be for this, and I think you have identified a problem. A lot of people I speak to are confused about exactly what they can put in which bin. I am of the opinion that this causes more problems because when the recycled waste goes to be processed it is deemed to be "contaminated" and it gets rejected anyway and still ends up in landfill.

Have you tried speaking to your local council about your concerns before you start threatening legal recourse?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Have you tried speaking to your local council about your concerns before you start threatening legal recourse?

I wanted to know my rights and fully understand how to apply them if needed before I spoke to the council. I have discussed council matters with them before and they have, on occasion, just fobbed me off with some spiel which I have found hasn't always been true.

• 2 weeks later...

Most council's try to encourage recycling but they can, under Section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 legally ask that residents use separate receptacles (oooo, posh word!) for different types of waste. Your local council probably has Waste Awareness Officers / Recycling Officers who can normally give specific advice or even pay a home visit to look at your complaint re. lack of space. Afterall, if you recycle at a local supermarket then there should be no contamination of your regular domestic wheeled bin so an extra bin would be surplus to requirements!