Slip On Ice On Steep Hill On Pavement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello There,

Not sure if I have posted this in the right thread but if anybody can help me with this I would be eternally greatful.

I slipped over on Wedesday going down a steep hill on the pavement and I fractured my wrist in three places. I work as a secretary and I am now not able to work for 6 weeks. I am on SSP and I will now have difficulty paying my rent, amongst all the other bits and pieces I have to pay.

My main question is do I have a case to sue the council because it should have been gritted?

The pavement I slipped on is a very busy pavement, lots of people use it, the pavement is also not properly paved it is tarmac, we also had a severe weather warning for black ice that night so it was not like the council did'nt know it was going to be bad. Also the road was not gritted so could not have walked safely on there either. I also have a winess who is not related to me in any way who saw the whole thing.

Does anybody know of any similar cases and if they have been succesful or not any hints or tips would be very gratefully apreciated.:)

The government says Yes.

Your council is usually responsible for making sure pavements are free from trip hazards and other defects to ensure public safety. This includes removing weeds, replacing broken or stolen slabs, supplying grit in icy conditions, and keeping pavements clear of snow.

Reporting problems with pavements and maintenance of private streets : Directgov - Home and community

there is another thread where this is dealt with, i will see if i can find it.

but sadly the botton dollar is no they are not responsible for gritting pavements.

ice through weather reports is a know hazard.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/175881-can-we-sue-council.html?highlight=slipped

dx

Edited by dx100uk
link added

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you so much for your replies, I have read the link that you sent me that was very useful and lots of varied opinions in there.

I would just very quickly like to point out that the only reason I was walking was because I dont own a car, cant afford it anymore!! Also the only reason, I was entertaining sueing the council is beacuase I am probably going to loose my house over this because I cant keep up with my rent and no way of getting any credit - have apt with CAB tommorow (today) see what they say about rent arrears!

Anyhow, that will probably be a new thread! thank you again for your replies on this subject.:)