style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Folks.

I finished university in may 2002, for a short period of time.

I shared a flat with another student whoo was completing his Postagrduate Degree. The tenancy were both on our names. Then due to the facts, i was on benefits and he was student, I had to pay council, at a discount though.

WE moved in a flat in July, then by November by housemate moved as he finished the Degree. Initially the council issued 2 council tax bills, one on my name and one of his name. Well as he was a student, he was not supposed any council tax anyway.

5.5 years later, I got a debt collector sent me letter and said I owed the council £546 for six month we stayed in that flat. Although my house mate stayed there for only 3.5 months. Anyway, the council then issued another bills this time on both of your name for some reasons, making me viable. I am sure we can check on their server, that initially they had 2 separate bills

They debt collectors had both of our name on files, as I can not contact ex-housemate who's a Luxembourg a resident , who would probably been able to get a letter from University statting he was in full time education. I had to pay the full amount of the tax (for both of us), although I was on benefit at that time.

This does not sound right? Am I viable for other people council tax if they have not paid or notified the council if he was student or moved out?

I haad to pay the council all the money thru the debt collector. Is there a scope to claim my money back if I can prove i was on benefit on that time? Secondly am I viable for other people debts of council tax?

Please advise. I can contact that estate to give us a copy of the tenancy agreement in 2002.

£546 is a lot of money to pay for something that's was not my fault and problem. The stupid council would not hear a word, all they want is money, which I have paid noq, as I do not want debt collectors letter coming to my place.

what's my legal avenue now? Please advise.

Edited by Bad_Boy999

In 2002 a student would be equally liable for the council tax with a non-student (this changed after 1 April 04) therefore any one named on the tenancy agreement would be jointly liable for the period they occupied the property and the council can pursue one or all of you for the balance outstanding.

In 2002 a student would be equally liable for the council tax with a non-student (this changed after 1 April 04) therefore any one named on the tenancy agreement would be jointly liable for the period they occupied the property and the council can pursue one or all of you for the balance outstanding.

Thanks for your reply, so in other words if somebody does not pay his council tax, the council can recover the monies owed to them by pursuing recovery by chasing other tenants who paid their council tax as they were all on the tenancy agreement. I was paying my council tax even after receiving HB while looking for employment. Nice to see, the City Council can do whatever they want :-x. I did end paying them more than £500, which had nothing to do with me. Anyway, maybe a last advice if possible, if the student moved out 3 months before the tenancy ended, will that matter, can I recover at least some monies? I doubt that Student friend was dishonest most probably he did not know, I would be liable for his taxes. Well, I hope that council lost the money in a bank in Iceland, earning interest on our money.

The council are acting within the bounds of the legislation, they are as tied by it as the occupiers are.

The student who moved out would have ceased any liability to council tax from the date they moved out and the remaining occupants would assume the liability from that date.

They would however remain liable for any period prior to moving out of the property.