council tax query, is it dodgy?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

to put a long story short i am one of 5 full time student tennants currently in the middle of a years tennecy on a property, my question is in regards to the fact that my landlord wishes to claim sole tennancy of the property purely in regards to council tax (he is willing to pay for it), his reasons being that he lives just outside the zone for his choice of school for his child, where as our property is within the zone.

he is wanting to claim that he lives there with his family in order to get his child into a "good" school, which is heart string pullingly noble enough for us to even consider the proposition. i am unsure of the legality of such an action or its possible repercussions on us as tennants!

id appreciate any info that can shed some light onto wheather this is a very dodgy or just modestly bent!

yeah i knew that, i wasnt asking it to be condoned either way, i was just interested in finding out more specific legality issues, how fraudulent (i realize thats a bit of a moot point as fraudulent is fraudulent),where we would stand and any possible repercussions for us, mainly so when we next speak to him if its not on we can state exactly why! rather than just because we dont want to! i hope you understand where im coming from, as im not asking how to get away with it, would just like to be more informed on the subject!

Well you (or the landlord) could get arrested for it. This article sounds pretty similar to what your landlord wants to do (albeit with different intentions):

Arrests in clampdown on council tax fraud - Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

well its not exactly whats going on here, as we are currently exempt from council tax, and he would have to pay full, so we arent skimming money from the system... it is however enough for me to reccomend to my housemates that it is to risky for us, as we owe nothing to the landlord to gamble with such risks, thanks you for your input, it has been helpful, though any further info on this subject would still be welcome out of curiosity and to reinforce my position on the matter

I cant see how its council tax fraud??

Hes stating he lives in the house when he doesnt. The requirement to pay council tax is merely a consequence of that.

Surely the fraud would be committed against the Local Education Authority as he is gaining a percieved benefit through deception. I dont see what council tax has to do with it. I presume the LEA want documentation to prove in which case he may be committing some other offence to the council, but its not fraud.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the question you really want to ask is "How likely are you to get caught?" and the answer is not very.

Your landlord gets the school of choice, the council get more money.

You neither gain nor benefit.

To cover any legality on your part, ask your landlord to draw up a contract where your rent includes council tax - then if he doesn't fill in the proper names, that's his own fault.