style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

A quick question. My wife and I ran a ltd business, which ceased trading in Jan 2008. We were up to date with the business rates when we closed, and duly informed the council we were leaving.

All fine until sometime towards the end of last year, we get a letter saying 'terribly sorry, but we have given you small business rates relief for a property it shouldn't have been given on, please pay £200, covering the period 2006-2008'.

I contacted the council saying - the business is closed, there is no business bank account, no assets etc. And they went very quiet. They have now sent final demands which we responded to saying 'no business, no account', and now they want the ltd company (no-one had been named) to appear in court.

My question is: If the business has not traded for over a year, is on the process of being struck off, and has no bank account, can they pursue this? My wife is a student nurse and I work, but as far as I am aware, a ltd company is a legal entity in its own right and therefore neither of us are able to be held financially responsible?

I've tried to contact the Business Debt Line over the past few days, but they are permanently engaged/busy with a full voicemail, so I was hoping someone here could shed some light on the situation.

Thanks in advance.