thetraineline.com

Camdenite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't mean to worry anyone unneccessarily but, I've just discovered that thetrainline.com is taking part in what's been a common on-line "[problem]" recently. A few similar scams have been reported in the national press, where you unwittingly click on a link on the page and "accidentally" sign up to a subscription shopping service with an offer of a cash back amount, whereby you pay a monthly sum by Direct Debit (anywhere between £5 -£20 typically), and in return receive e-mails telling you about special offers. Useful, but not something you'd pay £20 for the privelidge of having, huh?

Typical examples are highstreetmax.com, who did me in similar circumstances after booking a holiday with lastminute.com last year. It took me six months to detect the £14.95 D/D and where it was going to and cancel it. I'm still waiting on the £90 back!

Below is the text from my booking for a train journey. There are essentially two buttons to press after you have confirmed payment for the ticket. One is the "view printable version". The other one is marked as "continue". The continue one is the link that automatically starts the direct debit from your bank account (trainline.com will pass on the bank details you've just supplied when booking the train ticket). Legally they're doing nothing wrong as you are "accepting" the terms and conditions. It's sneaky I know, but NOT illegal, believe it or not.

This is the form you see on screen after booking:

Thetrainline.com

.......................................................................................................................... view printable version

Your transaction has been successful.

Journey 1: London Euston to Birkenhead Central 21/02/2009 Depart 11:07

Collection Reference Number XXXXXXXX. You need this number to collect your tickets from the Self-service Ticket machine.

Journey 2: Birkenhead Central to London Euston 21/02/2009 Depart 19:19

Collection Reference Number XXXXXXXX. You need this number to collect your tickets from the Self-service Ticket machine.

Total Ticket Price: GBP 22.00

Booking Fee: GBP 1.00

Total Price: GBP 23.00

Your booking is complete

Click here to claim your £10 cash back

incentive on your next thetrainline.com booking!

CONTINUE

By clicking above, you can claim your reward

from our preferred partner. Terms & conditions apply

I would suggest anyone who recently booked rain tickets via trainline.com checks their recent bank statements to make sure there are no strange looking payments. I'm sure other similar scams, vistaprint, etc, have been reported on here, but it's the first time I've heard of thetrainline.com doing anyhting like this.

Did your read those quoted 'Terms & conditions'? this could be the difference between a [problem] and clever marketing.

No, my point is that the ad is designed to look like it's part of the web-site, therefore you click "continue" thinking it's going to send you to the final confirmation page, not realising you are signing up for this [problem]. I've heard it referred to as a "click-through [problem]" in other places.

It may have been easier to show if I'd loaded up via photo-bucket so you can see what I mean.

Edited by Camdenite

I don't mean to worry anyone unneccessarily but, I've just discovered that thetrainline.com is taking part in what's been a common on-line "[problem]" recently. A few similar scams have been reported in the national press, where you unwittingly click on a link on the page and "accidentally" sign up to a subscription shopping service with an offer of a cash back amount, whereby you pay a monthly sum by Direct Debit (anywhere between £5 -£20 typically), and in return receive e-mails telling you about special offers. Useful, but not something you'd pay £20 for the privelidge of having, huh?

Typical examples are highstreetmax.com, who did me in similar circumstances after booking a holiday with lastminute.com last year. It took me six months to detect the £14.95 D/D and where it was going to and cancel it. I'm still waiting on the £90 back!

Below is the text from my booking for a train journey. There are essentially two buttons to press after you have confirmed payment for the ticket. One is the "view printable version". The other one is marked as "continue". The continue one is the link that automatically starts the direct debit from your bank account (trainline.com will pass on the bank details you've just supplied when booking the train ticket). Legally they're doing nothing wrong as you are "accepting" the terms and conditions. It's sneaky I know, but NOT illegal, believe it or not.

This is the form you see on screen after booking:

Thetrainline.com

.......................................................................................................................... view printable version

Your transaction has been successful.

Journey 1: London Euston to Birkenhead Central 21/02/2009 Depart 11:07

Journey 2: Birkenhead Central to London Euston 21/02/2009 Depart 19:19

Total Ticket Price: GBP 22.00

Booking Fee: GBP 1.00

Total Price: GBP 23.00

Your booking is complete

Click here to claim your £10 cash back

incentive on your next thetrainline.com booking!

CONTINUE

By clicking above, you can claim your reward

from our preferred partner. Terms & conditions apply

I would suggest anyone who recently booked rain tickets via trainline.com checks their recent bank statements to make sure there are no strange looking payments. I'm sure other similar scams, vistaprint, etc, have been reported on here, but it's the first time I've heard of thetrainline.com doing anyhting like this.

I think you only get this if you are going to Birkenhead Central:D

Lovely place................