Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder pleasuredome Novitiate pleasuredome's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

Default How do I unregister my car?

does anyone know of a way to unregister a car with the DVLA without claiming to have scraped it?

Basic Account Holder Spunkymonkey Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

Default Re: How do I unregister my car?

Export it or scrap it. The whole idea of continuous registration is that a car can't be "lost" from the database as long as it exists in the UK.

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

if i return the reg document declaring it scrapped, is there an obligation to actually scrap it or can it be claimed as salvage?

Basic Account Holder Spunkymonkey Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

If you declare scrapped they will never issue another registration document for it, so you can never put it back on the road.

Overseas posting by any chance?

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Wig Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2008

If you "self scrap" they will require proof that it has been scrapped or dismantled. You'll have to ask them what the minimum actions required would then have to be done to satisfy them. One famous story was a guy who sent them a video of the car being crushed by a tank.

You may want to keep the bits of the car for future projects, so it is understandable that you may not want to destroy the vehicle.

Exporting the vehicle is the only other way I know.

When you report a car stolen, the DVLA get notified, and they (should) ammend the vehicles register to remove your responsibility to it. But it remains on the register. You can and should - protect yourself by writing to DVLA to have them "remove your interesticon" in a vehicle that has been stolen. Which makes me wonder if you can legally "remove your interest" in a vehicle not stolen but remains in your possession, I suppose you theoretically can, but it would probably leave you open to prosecution under VERA for keeping an unregistered vehicle.

There is something in law about a vehicle without gear box or with engine in such a state that no prospect of vehicle being made mobile (and no intention of owner to put it back on the road) is no longer a motor vehicle.
    Smart v Allan 1962

Which could help you.

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

no, im in good ol' england.

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Wig View Post
    If you "self scrap" they will require proof that it has been scrapped or dismantled. You'll have to ask them what the minimum actions required would then have to be done to satisfy them. One famous story was a guy who sent them a video of the car being crushed by a tank.

You may want to keep the bits of the car for future projects, so it is understandable that you may not want to destroy the vehicle.

Exporting the vehicle is the only other way I know.

When you report a car stolen, the DVLA get notified, and they (should) ammend the vehicles register to remove your responsibility to it. But it remains on the register. You can and should - protect yourself by writing to DVLA to have them "remove your interesticon" in a vehicle that has been stolen. Which makes me wonder if you can legally "remove your interest" in a vehicle not stolen but remains in your possession, I suppose you theoretically can, but it would probably leave you open to prosecution under VERA for keeping an unregistered vehicle.

There is something in law about a vehicle without gear box or with engine in such a state that no prospect of vehicle being made mobile (and no intention of owner to put it back on the road) is no longer a motor vehicle.

Which could help you.
    what im trying to do is remove their interest from my car without trying to create an estoppelicon.

when you register anything, you hand over what ever it is to another party. this is why if your car is found on the road without licence duty then the dvla can tow it away and scrap it. in reality dvla own your car with your consent.

Basic Account Holder Wig Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2008

I think you're trying to do what in the USA some people theoretically think, that because they are constitutionally allowed the right to free travel, that right overrides the laws that require them to register their motor vehicles.

We in the UK have the same laws requiring all motor vehicles (which are not exempt) to be registered. We don't have a constitution to give us the same theoretical hopes that they have in the USA. I'll bet you won't actually find any Americans who go through with this idea.

Unless you remove the engine and have an intention to never use the vehicle on the road again, you will not be allowed to unregister the vehicle.

Just out of interesticon
    There are vehicles that are exempt from continuous registration, vehicles which have been stored off road - untaxed, prior to the SORN laws coming into effect (something like 1995) are exempt from SORN regs & fines, unless they subsequently become taxed - or voluntarily SORN'd again, then they have to from that point on be subject to SORN regs.

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

Statute law applies to PERSONS.

Statute laws regarding 'motor vehicles' applies to 'motor vehicles'.

The questions that you need to know the answers to according to law are:

1. who or what is a PERSON?

2. What is a 'motor vehicle'?

if i describe 'cherries' as round red fruits, does that mean all round red fruits are 'cherries'?

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

I don't think I follow what pleasuredome is trying to acheive here.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Cheshire

I think he is trying to unregister his car so that he thinks then he wont have to tax it to run it on a road.

I suspect he has been taking lessons in law and thinks he has found a loophole to exploit

Opinions are offered in good faith based upon personal experience and research. Before making any irreversible decisions the opinion of a qualified, registered and insured legal professional should be sought.

If my advice or information has assisted you in any way - please click my scales.

thanks

[COLOR=red]Nat West Charges 1056 [B]WON[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ff0000]RBS Charges 3600 [B]WON[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ff0000]RBS Unenforceable Loan 18500 [B]Pending[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ff0000]RBS PPI on loan above [B]Pending[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=red]MBNA Credit Card [B]CCA & SAR Sent[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Co-op Credit Card [B]CCA Sent[/B][/COLOR]
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdoc View Post
    I think he is trying to unregister his car so that he thinks then he wont have to tax it to run it on a road.

I suspect he has been taking lessons in law and thinks he has found a loophole to exploit

Thanks for that flyingdoc. A none starter I guess then!

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

i dont THINKi wont have to pay 'vehicle licence duty', i KNOW i wont have to.

there are foreigners who have been here in england for years who have driven their cars without ever registering them, who have to pay no vehicle licence duty.

the dvla says that after 6 months they MUST register their car with them. in legalese, the word 'must' is equivilant to the word 'may', and there is no obligation to do anything in which you 'must' make application for.

every englishman has a lawful right to travel freely on the queen's highways. you have the right to own and use a private conveyance on the roads as long as you are not acting in commerce.

a driver is someone who acts in commerce; a vehicle is a conveyance used in commerce; a passenger is someone who pays. anyone acting in commerce has to register their vehicle and pay duty on it and apply for a licence to drive the vehicle.

did you claim to be acting in commerce? by making an application for vehicle registration, driver's licence etc, just like i did, you did claim that.

hence the reason why i want to unregister because i am not acting in commerce.

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by crem View Post
    Thanks for that flyingdoc. A none starter I guess then!
    thats a cracker. it must be the way you tell them

seriously though, if YOU believe it to be a non starter, then so be it for YOU.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative flyingdoc Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Cheshire

Good luck with that....

and interestingly the Northamptonshir police are cracking down on just the drivers you are talking about - see http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...-vehicles.html

however I would be interested to know what statutes you are relying upon

Opinions are offered in good faith based upon personal experience and research. Before making any irreversible decisions the opinion of a qualified, registered and insured legal professional should be sought.

If my advice or information has assisted you in any way - please click my scales.

thanks

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

Good luck with that....

and interestingly the Northamptonshir police are cracking down on just the drivers you are talking about - see http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...-vehicles.html

however I would be interested to know what statutes you are relying upon
    Officers can seize vehicles if they have been in the UK for longer than six months and are not registered with the DVLA, Pc David Lee said.
    "After that period it must be taxed, insured and go through an MOT if it is older than three years," he said.
    officers who seize privately owned cars are acting unlawfully. what they will try to do is get the owners to consent to statute law, which if the owners do, will mean they will have to go down the route of registration, licences etc. if the owners fail to consent, the police will have no choice but to give the cars back.

if they ever tried to take my private car, i'd sue them. but i would inform the police and the dvla from the start what the status of my car is and myself in regard to it, so that there would be no problems.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Cheshire

I personally think that the polices power to seize vehicles at roadside are in contravention of the human rights act - right to a fair trial, and would love to see someone take this on.
    As a law student i would be very interested in your arguement for your point of view - what statutes are you demending on?

thanks

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

I personally think that the polices power to seize vehicles at roadside are in contravention of the human rights act - right to a fair trial, and would love to see someone take this on.
    As a law student i would be very interested in your arguement for your point of view - what statutes are you demending on?
    the police can seize vehicles because the vehicles were registered. the dvla have rights to that vehicle because of registration, and the owner gave the dvla those rights by applying and subbmiting volunterily, although the owner believing he was obligated to do so at the time on the basis of hearsay or someone in 'authority' saying that he 'must'.

i'm not using any statute, i'm using the common law. statute law overides common only when you consent to it, in other words its a contract, which is the reason why the police will ask you if you 'understand'. so i have to be particular about if and when i use statutes.

edited to add: everything the policeman said was true in the quote. imo, this article is being used as propaganda to intimidate people into applying for vehicle registration. the police could seize a private car, but they will know they are running a huge risk in doing so.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Cheshire

statute law overides common only when you consent to it
    Sorry but I have to say that is complete an utter rubbish. Statute law is just that - its law and it applies to you whether you consent or not.

thanks

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2007

Surely all vehicles are registered by the garage prior to sale?

This is an interesting thread, however will you not also have problems when you come to insure the vehicle?

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE