style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a multi storey flat,ex council.I pay maintenance,buildings insurance to the council,there is a key fob entry system to the building also cctv cameras around it.

My problem is since early last year the door entry system has not been working the doors to the building are always open so anyone can walk in and out of the building,obviously the door system is the responsibility of the council.

people have been coming in,smashing windows,making a mess and painting graffiti on the walls,the lifts have been vandalised as well,this causes a lot of trepidation for some of the pensioners that live here.

As an owner occupier all the council does is send me my proportionate cost of the damage.

The latest bill they have sent me is regards reglazing,the bill is £1848.05

my proportion of the bill is £21.

I have kept all the bills and have paid all that they have asked me too.

Obviously my money is limited but the council pays there part of the bill from the council tax coffers and bill who they can.

If they had the building secure in the first place it wouldnt get damaged and it would be a better environment to live in,I have contacted them regards this and they just say it will be sorted soon.

Is there anything I can do about this I have limited means to keep paying all these extra bills.

Thanks for reading this

Dont pay it .The council should allways make sure as you say the building is secure.How can you be exspected to keep paying for vandalism.Do the CCCTV cameras work.Sounds like you need wardens there as well.Ithink also i would get in touch with local councillor and also local MP they are there to help you.Which city or town are you in.Perhaps also the local paper may be interested in this unfair charge.You must be feeling very low at the moment and i wish this situation sorts itself out before long.Keep posting of any news.

Hi tawny,Im in clydebank,west dunbartonshire,the cctv cameras work as we had someone dump an old setee at the bottom of the building and set it on fire recently,they reckon they know who did it as I did ask.The reason I asked them was that back in the summertime someone was ripping off the handles on the fire doors in the building,vandals,I had pointed out to the management we only needed a fire!,the door handles were replaced,fire just damaged woodwork downstairs.There is supposedly community wardens but Ive never seen them.This building is 14 storeys high.

The last communication I had with the council was in november they said there is a new security door system going to be installed,they are currently recladding the building so after that I suppose.

I just wrote an email to the council saying I would pay there bill under duress but I think I will take it a lot further,theyve got some cheek billing me for their ineptitude,doubt I will hear anything till after monday.

Something for you to read while you are waiting for a reply.Hope it will soon come.Keep trying nag them go have a chat with your local councillor they are interested in what you have to say.They may even throw a cup of tea in, just in case take a flask ,if they dont offer you one offer them one.Will keep a eye on your thread Tawny.

http://www.scottishhousingnews.com/dailynews.asp?week=05/01/2009#H196965

Thanks tawny,I registered on that site,its quite interesting,still aint heard from that manager at the council I emailed,probably takes them a while to get started after the holidays!! Ill email him again tomorrow if I still aint heard nothing

I just heard back from the council manager involved,hes cancelled the invoice,hooray for now!!

Robert,

Thank you for the e-mail regarding common repairs to Dalmuir Court .

As you know the external refurbishment of the block commenced during the middle of 2008 and this has resulted in the front and rear entrance doors being used more frequently for access and materials transportation. Inevitably this has resulted in the doors and glazing being damaged to the point where repairs to the doors and security systems are no longer viable. I sympathize and take your point that at the moment the building is not secure and in view of this I will arrange for your invoice to be cancelled.

The 5 security cameras have recently been cleaned and any unsocial behavior should have been picked up by them. I will bring this to the attention of the Housing Officer.

I can also advise you that part of the refurbishment programme includes replacing the 2 entrance doors and fire escape stair doors with “state of the art” high security doors, constructing a laundry room on the ground floor and redecorating the common areas up to level 1.

Regards,

Roy.

so there ya go!!:)

So glad to hear some good news.Security cameras cleaned and unsocial behavior will be picked up.State of the art doors- laundry room nice place to mix and meet people and hopefully get some community spirit going.I suppose these multi storey flats although full of people can be lonely places sometimes.Sounds like its going to be like Fort Knox soon-safe and secure from the yobs-any vacancies.Bye for now Tawny