Sterling Collections

NailPost
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They are SP. Sterling Collections are a dormant company so they have no employees. I wonder who would answer the phone if I was to call.....

Can someone remind me of the law that says a debt collector has to have a data controller, it can't hide under someone else's licence.

• 3 months later...

I closed a business account down with Scottish Power last July. They sent a final bill, we paid and that was that - or so I thought. In December we received another final bill for £1500 based on a meter reading from a new occupant! Despite opening a complaints procedure with SP, we get a letter from Sterling Collections about every two or three weeks threatening court action if we don't pay. We have written and phoned them to explain we are in discussions with SP over the bill but they choose to ignore us (even hung the phone up on my business partner one time). I had my suspicions they were an inhouse department of SP and now my suspicions have been verified. Obviously, SP think its more intimidating for people to get a letter from a collections agency rather than one from themselves. Sneaky baskets.

The complaint hasn't been open long enough to go to the energy ombudsman yet but I am logging all calls and correspondence for when I do. I suggest anyone else does the same then after 8 weeks or if you get a 'deadlock' letter from SP, go to the energy ombudsman for them to look into for you.

I just received a letter from this lot for an overdue account with the wonderful Scottish Power, despite the fact I told SP when the bill would be paid. (It was a bill for just under £600-00 to heat a 3 bedroom semi for a quarter).

Should I be worried about Sterling?

When I called Sterling to tell them when the bill would be paid, she automatically started talking about paying SP by monthly direct debit!!!!

I immediately got suspicious that this mob were actually a front for SP's collections department, perhaps I'm right?

Archway

I have now been advised by SP that the reason I am still getting threatening letters from Sterling Collections is that my complaint was closed on, get this, 113th Feb. SP seem to have trouble getting their dates right and I am highly suspicious it is a method they use to cover their own backs. I have emailed them to ask why I wasn't advised of this before even though I have contacted them twice since Feb. I don't expect a satisfactory answer so have also advsd I want my complaint escalating to Executive Complaints Board level. Thats the final stage before going to the energy ombudsman.

Anyone having similar trouble should check out SPs charter and complaints procedure - they don't seem to operate within these but, as far as I am concerned, that is just more fuel to the fire when I eventually go to the ombudsman. Also check out the Office of Fair Trading guidelines on debt collection and quote any relevant parts in your communications to SP so they know you mean business.

Hi Guys,

I mailed Scotiish Power asking for an explanation as to who exactly were Sterling Collections.

Here is their response:

SPM Collections are Scottish Powers internal debt collection team. We will send

out reminder letters until the account has been paid in full. Reminder is

issued after 10 days then if not paid call will be attempted after about 30

days. If the bill remains outstanding after this we will usually pass the

account to an outside legal agent to collect. When we issue the bill it is due

to be paid immediately as bills are issed in arrears so you have already used

the gas and electricity the bill relates to

Now I am by no means any form of legal expert, but in my mind, this company uses an internal department, in the guise of an external collections company, to frighten people into paying up.

Is this legal? I'm in the process of changing supplier because I think I am being overcharged by SP every single bill I get.

We only have an ordinary semi detached three bedroomed house but in the last year we have used 31570KwHrs of gas. Scottish Power thinks this is normal. I don't, and talking to my neighbours in very similar properties, neither do they. We are out at work most of the day, the boiler is on a timer, the heating turned down low as we have the luxury of a coal fire.

Can anyone tell me if this is a lot as I can't seem to find out.

Regards all,

Archway

Archway

• 1 month later...

My son has been renting his house out but it has been empty since September last year, then today I receive a letter from Sterling Collections demanding £2++ as unpaid power usage, "despite several requests for payments". Thing is that neither myself nor the lettings agency have ever received a letter from Scottish power or Sterling Collections asking for this mythical amount.

What do these people think they are doing, I just love receiving threatening letters on a Friday night !!!!

• 5 weeks later...

So pleased to find this thread.

Hubbie has just closed his late father's business, owes £329 to Scottish Power.

He cannot clear the debt and as they represent only about 1% of total debt, we have to treat them pro-rata with any available funds (my husbands wages!)

He's moved out of the premises they are no longer a priority debt as if they cut him off it's not going to be a problem. We've been told this by Debtline.

We sent them a letter explaining problem, advising them of arranged meetings with CAB & CCCS (charitable debt mgmt plan company) this month and sent a token payment of £10.

This they have cashed and on the second charming letter from Sterling Collections they record this payment as the debt has dropped to £319.

But they are threatening "Notice of court proceedings & impending default" and very cheekily refer continuing non-payment (they've clearly shown on their own paperwork that a payment has been processed!)

How serious are these Sterling Collections, are these threats just bully boy tactics it hope of scaring the living daylights out of you (it's working pretty well have to say!!) or do they follow through fairly promptly after this ?

Not going to pay up, we can, any available funds has to be distributed pro-rata and with their 1% they aint going to be getting big amounts.

We are hoping to setup DMP but I think these guys are going to be the monsters in the pack.

Any info of this lot very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Definately no funds in the estate, but my husband worked with his dad, did seprate tax returns but think they's just say it his responsibilty. No partnership existed on paper, but going to be very difficult to prove, in a way that may get this lot of our backs.

They seem to be all guns blazing type sort of company. Just trying to find out from anyone with dealings with them if it is a lot of hot air or they say we'll start court proceedings they mean it ?

Many thanks for your reply

As I said, your husband is not liable for this debt;

2u7t9g1.gif

Make a complaint to your local trading standards & the OFT with regards to their harassment and threats, they are in clear breach of OFT guidelines & CPUT ;

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/DebtCollectionComplaintForm.DOC

The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

[email protected]

The Office of Fair Trading: Debt collection practices

tel: 020 7211 5823

Debt collection guidance - Final guidance on unfair business practices - oft664

Many thanks for your reply.

How can we prove that my husband isnt liable ? He took over the day to day running of the business although his dad was still owner, so all the creditors are coming after him.

If going to see a solicitor or accountant would sort it out definately we'd consider it although goodness knows where we'd find the money, but I've asked on every forum, Business Debtline, etc.. and they all say he shouldnt be liable but not definate.

If we knew for definate it would be worth standing our ground, but if not we run the risk of court proceedings and even bigger debts.

Got an appointment with CAB on wed but been told they probably wont help with this and just dont know where to go from there.

Complaining to OFT may help to get Scottish power to back off but just so worried how to really deal with these people.

Other major concern is the address they keep using is his father's address, and so worried that they'll start turning up there or somehow get hold of the tel number (it's ex-directory) we're trying to keep this from his widow as she's very ill herself. Could give them our address but then that's giving them another person to get their teeth into.

All such a nightmare, dont know what to do for the best .....

You don't have to prove anything, he could well have managed the business but that does not make him responsible for it's debts. Who's name was the business in; the utility bills in, who was the 'boss'? His father obviously.

If your husband had worked for someone who wasn't a relative & they died do you think he would be responsible for any debts owed by his employer? Of course not & it's just the same in this case with his late father. Debts are paid from the Estate & as I said if there are insufficient funds it ends right there. If these creditors were to try and take your husband to court for these debts they would be laughed straight out of it again & they would be liable for both costs and damages to your husband.

As I said above, tell the creditors to bog right off and make a complaint to your local Trading Standards and the OFT.