Court fees-Council office gave wrong information

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

First of all it's my first post so my apologies if i m doing something the wrong way.

I have a problem with the council tax, i missed one payment back in may as i thought that the council tax year starts later on.

I went to the local council tax office straight away when i received a note that there is unpaid balance on my account.That was back in May!

I had an appointment and when i informed her of the situation, she explained to me how the council tax year works.I apologised for missing a payment and asked her what should i do.

She said i ll have to pay for the 2 months at once and then starting from June, i should make a monthly deposit by the 12th of each month.

I asked her if there will be any extra fee for missing the payment and she said no.

A few months after a received a letter from a solicitor claiming that we owe the whole amount of our council tax.

From june we hadn t miss a single payment and having in mind what the officle clerk told me back in May i thought it was a case of miscommunication so i didn t ring him.

The solicitor sent a second letter so we thought of calling him.He says he has no track of our payments (as he s not in contact with the council) and that we should pay all the remaining balance at once.

A few phonecalls and 1 month after it seems that we need to pay the remaining balance plus 250 pounds of court fees.

For me, there was lack of information at the council tax office as they told me i will have no problem if i pay monthly after i missed the first payment.

Can anyone suggest what to do as the councli tax now says it s a matter between me and the solicitor office.

Thanks in advance for your help.