Business Rates Arreas - Please Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all,

I urgently need some advice if poss!!!!

My wife was a sole trader and rented a shop which she closed down about 19 months ago due to losses and the arrival of our second son.

She knew she was in arrears regarding Business rates for just over £2k which she came to a payment plan with the local authority for monthly payments. Unfortunately, she missed a few payments and was advised by the council to send in her income and expenditure forms to proof what she could reasonably pay (lower amounts) just yesterday she received a letter to our home address (god knows how they found her at home as she was in her maiden name at her shop [where all the post was being picked up] and we have since moved but she is no longer known in her maiden name)

My wife called to see what was going on and the lady at the end of the phone was not only rude but insisted that our payments and outgoings were over exaggerated and there is no way she was telling the truth (i have a humongous mortgage, two cars on HP, insurances, son at private school etc etc) and the fact we are still in our late 20's i feel the council disbelieve us!!!!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short - they have granted her 3 months to pay the full amount or they will be sending in the bailiffs to collect our belongings (although the only money she receives is a weekly allowance from me for shopping etc)

1) can they do this as although she is on the mortgage (and i had nothing to do with her shop, rates etc) she does not contribute to any house hold payments and i paid for absolutely everything we have bought.

2) Can they do this as this was a business debt and like i've mentioned above has nothing to do with me what so ever?

3) should i get her name taken off the mortgage?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Best

AK

Edited by ak27

Get in touch with the business debtline here is a link

Business Debtline

They gave me some good advice when I needed it.:)

I was told by another organisation that my husbands earnings have nothing to do with my business debts but the judge decided the opposite and took his money into consideration. :(