Serious leaks in Council property - please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5576 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I’m not sure if this is the right place 4 this thread but if not can sum1 plz advise?

My mother lives in a council property with my younger brothers. On Tuesday she woke up to serious leaks in the kitchen; water was dripping down from several areas in the kitchen, leaving water all over the floor and kitchen surfaces. She phoned the council who arrived in the evening with the solution of turning of all the water save one cold tap in the kitchen which meant no bath, no basin, no flushing the toilet.

This did not completely stop the leaks.

She phoned again and someone arrived on Wednesday to take a look at the bathroom where it was thought the leak was coming from, they did nothing but promised to send someone the next day to sort it out. The person who arrived on Thursday unlike the other quite unhelpful contractors did work quite hard to rectify the situation however it didn’t work and by this time so much water had leaked down into the kitchen that the walls were bubbling and it was seeping out of the floor. The water was turned back on.

My mom called the council again who sent 2 contractors who stated that the leak seemed to be coming from inside the wall from an upstairs bedroom but didn’t deal with it. Yesterday she called the council again who sent someone to turn of the hot water and promised to send a heating engineer to check the radiator for leaks. The person never came and when she called the council was told it was some mistake as no one would come out on the weekend. It’s now Sunday and the problem is no better and there is still no hot water.

The situation would be hellish for anyone but it’s particularly bad as my mom has arthritis which isn’t helped by the cold/damp, my brother who has Crohn’s disease which means he goes to the toilet up to ten times a day and there is also a 6 year old in the house.

She has to prepare meals in a dripping kitchen which is made particularly drafty by the leaks and is having to bathe my younger brother and herself in a portable basin. There are 2 buckets and around 4 other containers collecting water at the moment and all of these have to be emptied around three times a day so there is a lot of water coming down.

She’s worried about the water affecting the appliances resting on the floor, like the fridge, freezer and washing machine. When the toilet was out of action when they turned off the water my other brother with Crohns was having to **** in plastic bags and throw it out, I don’t mean to be gross, but that’s the truth.

The Council’s approach has been lacklustre and she feels that the contractors perhaps because they get paid regardless of whether they do the job properly or not are unconcerned about whether the leak is dealt with properly and so just apply temporary measures, one said that as long as she had drinking water it wasn’t really an emergency.

They drilled through the upstairs bedroom, messing up the paintwork and also stated they may have to take up the laminate floor, but who will pay for it to be repaired. Is this not an emergency? How can the council expect my mom and brothers to live like this?

I feel so helpless, could someone please help me with any advice?

Thanks

VF

Hiya,

I would find out who your local councillor is and contact him/her.

If you have no heating/hot water or it is a serious leak, your council should be treating this as an emergency as you have a person in the house with a chronic illness (I have crohns too)

I wouldn't worry too much about the appliances unless the water level gets high. most machines have thier electrics about 4 inches above the floor.

The council have a duty of care and it's not that hard to find leaks. Has anybody looked in the loft to see if the cold water tank has sprung a leak.

Once the problems have been sorted, complain long and hard.

fox

• Haha 1

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

OK whichever council you come under ring them up using the emergency number and explain their is a clear health risk to your mum and brother and if ever i heard a emergency this is it.Tap in council emergency problem on your computer and go to your council and then go to flooding or emergency plumbing problem if they dont come out ring the health dept in the morning if you can stand it that long.TAWNYOWL.Some council emergency numbers on the link.

council emergency problem who to contact - Live Search

Edited by tawnyowl
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the responses:

My mom is with Lewisham Council – she’s been told by them that the emergency was turning off the hot water and the rest of the issue i.e the leaks is repair work?!

She’s called the emergency number several times and been told that as the hot water’s been turned off and there’s still drinking water there’s no emergency. The toilet is now in use because it’s unavoidable but she doesn’t know if it’s related to the leaks. She says one of the contractors removed the toilet to check for the source of the leak and another had a look upstairs but it hasn’t been fixed because it was the “weekend” and “non-urgent”:???:

Tawny Owl -do you have more details for the health dept? I had a search for Lewisham Health Dept but it just seems to come up with the NHS

Silverfox1961 - i'm gonna get her to try the councillor thing tommorow, thanks

I’ve had a look at this site http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/SocialHousingAndCareHomes/RepairsToCouncilHomes/DG_4001383 it details council tenant’s right to repair which I think this may come under, it states that under the scheme there is a time limit set to carry out repairs and if it is not done you can request another contractor.

Thanks very much for the suggestions, if anyone has anymore please let me know

vf

mmm-having trouble myself to find the right number for you but had a go.If you ring the council who i believe the enviromental health dept comes under good-if not ask them to put you through to them.Hope your problem is resolved soon keep us posted of developments good luck .Tawnyowl

Environmental services telephone line opening hours

You can contact Environmental Services on 020 8314 7171 between the following hours:

• Monday to Thursday 7.30am - 8pm
  • Friday 7.30am - 9.00 am, 10.00am - 7.30pm.
  • Saturday 9am - 1pm

Lewisham Council - Homepage

If the problem isnt resolved ring your local councillors and tell them your circumstances-dont be worried about phoning them-they will get things done-hope they are up to date councillors amd i have your right area PHONE NUMBERS AND EMAILS BELOW

Lewisham Council - Lewisham Central

Edited by tawnyowl

i think you will find they are in the old Leegate Housing building corner of Burnt Ash Road / Eltham road

for Lerwisham Heath care

Lewisham Primary Care Trust - Home

since they changed the emergency repair to the call centre , every thing gets put off as non emergency

get hold of your local councillor ,

the enviro health is via 0208 314600

Edited by kiptower

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

HELL ON EARTH

Update-

- tried to get hold of local councillor to no avail

- leaks spreading towards corridor, that’s the laminates ruined.

- and the best biggest bombshell we got today was ……….asbestos!

Yup, ASBESTOS, in the spare room. You know, the one they drilled a chunk out off, the one I’ve been sleeping in for the last few days since and spent time in. And not wet asbestos, the dry stuff – the one that clings to you and sit in your lungs like a timebomb.

So, water is everywhere in the kitchen, risk of electrocution if it drips into sockets, there a cancer hive upstairs, 2 people with chronic health conditions, emergency? You’re having a laugh, the leak is in the roof apparently and the deadline for completing the job is December 30th. It’s a big job you see, not a emergency though cos there’s not actually a flood, so we can wait. I understand.

Plumber was meant to come yesterday but went M.I.A – council said there’s was nothing they cud do, couldn’t get hold of him, had to wait till morning. I registered a complaint with Lewisham Council, but where does that leave things in the meantime? Nowhere.

Forgive my tone but I just got the asbestos news about, uh, half an hour ago. My mom overheard the repair guy telling his boss, was worried bout going home to his kids with fibres on him. MY FAMILY AND 6 YEAR OLD BROTHER IS LIVING IN THIS HELLHOLE

If I end up killing someone I think it’s only fair I get off with diminished responsibility.

try not to worry too much about the asbestos but keep out of that room. keep the door closed and contact your environmental health department. They should be able to give you some advice.

As far as I can remember there are 3 types of asbestos. Brown,Blue and white. The asbestos in the house is probably white, the least likely to do lasting damage.

You should have been informed when the guy put a hole in the wall but maybe he didn't know what it was.

NOT A BIG JOB??? who are they kidding. I know it will eventually get sorted but the house is a health hazard and as such it needs sorting.

Make sure you keep a log of this fiasco (dates of visits,repairs done or not done) responses from the council. If you happen to visit the council offices over this, make sure you get a receipt showing why you visited.

This could all have been sorted ages ago. just stopping the leak for starters would have helped as the other jobs like the drying out of the walls could be done at a slower rate

Try your MP and don't forget to complain to everybody you can.

fox

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thank you - i feel like i could die right now

Do you know how i can find out what kind the asbestos is?

I'm taking my mom to solicitors tommorow, trying environmental health and MP again too. I never believe councils could or would actually treat people and children like this.

I slept in that room after they disturbed the asbestos. I slept in it.

I feel as if I'm in dream; in the last few months my brother almost died, my mom got diagnosed with arthritis and now this.

Council shd be coming to assess the panel tommorow but that doesn't mean anything, they've done plenty of "assessing" i.e. ripping up the floor, turning off the heating + hot water.

Anyone with experience of asbestos or indifferents at lewisham council please help me, pm me, anything.

vf

It's hard for me to say for definite which type of asbestos it is but as far as I'm aware, it's usually white. There is another thought. The guy who came out doesn't know what he's talking about as I've never come across asbestos in a bedroom. I'd be putting bets on fibreboard instead. Looks the same but is non-toxic. There is usually some asbestos in the side panels of baths in houses that were built pre 1980.

I would be making a claim on the councils insurance too as there is now more damage than there should have been due to them not sorting the leak earlier.

I think it's very important to get Environmental Health involved so that they can put your mind at rest.

fox

Not getting any better this problem.Sounds like you are having a bad time at the moment Have given you hopefully at bottom of page number to ring.Better get this checked out urgently.Hopefully it doesnt turn out to be AsbestosAs i have read a few things about Lewisham council i understand they have to bring all council properties up to date by 2010.Have you been given a date for any work to be carried out.I understand this may include kitchens bathrooms insulation glazing heating roof etc.

Lewisham Council - Pollution control - asbestos.

Next time a workman says anything about asbestos or calls at your home point him and your council to this link especially asbestos and the law.Hopefully it will not be asbestos but white is the least harmfull-cant believe i have had to write this sure getting me angry what you are being put through.

Stop Think Asbestos

MP NEXT IF NO SATISFACTION OR YOUR LOCAL PAPER .

Edited by tawnyowl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for not responding earlier but my internet's been playing up and I've been running around trying to do stuff.

The panel wasn't asbestos, it was tested and turns out to be something that looks very much like it but not it - or so they say I don't trust the council as far as i can throw them and want another private test done.

The source of the leak was found when the inspector came to have a look at it - if they had only done this when it started.

As it was fixed in a few hours it just goes to show that if someone had actually made an effort and supervised the contractors/given them deadline or instructions we wudn't have had to live like that.

As of today, there are still so many problems. Xmas is cancelled. Becasues the leaks got so bad and depsite the containers we put around to catch the majority of the water, it's completely saturated the kitchen floor. When it was stripped to apply a new vinyl, the contractor couldn't put it on top because there was so much water still coming up, it's like wading around in mush.

The floor is so damaged that the new contractor had said he'll need to put in a completely new one and he also think that the water beneath the floor has spread to the passage and front room because he can see water there from ouutside.

However when he spoke to the council they are refusing to replace the living room floor and are telling us to claim the laminates on compensation. But if the floor is damages which we think it is because a certain area keepws seeping water, we can't put new laminates on top of that.

More stuff has happened in the interim to display the council's apathy and incompentence but i can't even go into, i'm so stressed.

The new contractor we've got are private and have been lifting the lid on the council. He said the only reason the inspector came out on Wednesday to deal with the leak himself was because he thought we were going to take them to court. He also said that the contractors are mostly devious and lazy, often sneaking cards through customers doors so they can pretend they knocked while going off to do private jobs.

Because they aren't properly supervised and get paid at the end of the week regardless of whether they got a job done or not, they try to get away with doing the least amount possible so they can spend their time doing private work.

I'm am so stressed, we are all so stressed, everythign has to be moved out the ktichen in preparation for the new floor and as it's getting close to xmas ppl are moving slow.

Thanks for help at this difficult time, if you think of anything else please let me know

vf

Hi again,

I think the council should be supplying portable heaters and dehumidifiers which will help dry things out a bit quicker.

if you haven't done so yet, complain. You have to have made an effort to complain before you can take it to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Claim off the councils insurance for any damage to your own property due to them not fixing the leak first time.

Keep any bills for expenses incurred because of their failure.

that's all I can think of at the moment.

fox