Insurance renewal scam !!!!! help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

has anyone ever had this problem...

My insurance contract was meant to end on the 23rd October 2008 but my last instalment was made on the 16/9/08. I waited for renewal documents but none arrived so i cancelled my direct debit knowing that my contract had ended so i could pursue other insurance quotes.

The company then tried to take out money from my account resulting in £104 in bank charges and then kindly gave me a letter saying they were cancelling my policy and that my "outstandind debt" was £168

in my naivety i didnt notice that the insurance firm will just continue the policy if no renewal is asked for. fair enough , very clever on their part , but fair enough.

now.... the insurance contract that ended was for £290 for the whole year , i have since found out that the renewed policy (in which i had no part of) is for £348 ... HIGHER than last year... note: i have made no claims..... then i find out that the so called "outstanding debt" is based on the NEW RENEWAL price.... WTF!!!

this is absolutely disgusting , like anyone in their right mind would agree to renewing their contract if they knew the price was going to go up AND especially when i found out i can get the insurance from another company for 100 quid less.

listen to thiis... they then said .. and i quote from the credit control department of the insurance company "if you do decide to make a new policy with us the majority of the outstanding debt will be removed"

am i missing something , since when were the mafia in town.... can anyone please advise on this situation i would be extremely grateful

The co-op did this to me -

I Telephoned them and cancelled my policy and yet they still claimed the DD, incurring a 38 charge from my bank.

When I telephoned and complained the woman said "it is your responsibility to cancel the direct debit and so any charges incurred are your problem"

they did refund the money, eventually, but I was still out the charges.

has anyone ever had this problem...

My insurance contract was meant to end on the 23rd October 2008 but my last instalment was made on the 16/9/08. I waited for renewal documents but none arrived so i cancelled my direct debit knowing that my contract had ended so i could pursue other insurance quotes.

The company then tried to take out money from my account resulting in £104 in bank charges and then kindly gave me a letter saying they were cancelling my policy and that my "outstandind debt" was £168

in my naivety i didnt notice that the insurance firm will just continue the policy if no renewal is asked for. fair enough , very clever on their part , but fair enough.

now.... the insurance contract that ended was for £290 for the whole year , i have since found out that the renewed policy (in which i had no part of) is for £348 ... HIGHER than last year... note: i have made no claims..... then i find out that the so called "outstanding debt" is based on the NEW RENEWAL price.... WTF!!!

this is absolutely disgusting , like anyone in their right mind would agree to renewing their contract if they knew the price was going to go up AND especially when i found out i can get the insurance from another company for 100 quid less.

listen to thiis... they then said .. and i quote from the credit control department of the insurance company "if you do decide to make a new policy with us the majority of the outstanding debt will be removed"

am i missing something , since when were the mafia in town.... can anyone please advise on this situation i would be extremely grateful

Who are the insurer?

Have you called them and confirmed to them that you never received a renewal invite?

Did you cancel the DD after the renewal date of the 23.10.08 and did you take out alternative insurance?

You state that you cancelled your direct debit prior to your insurers debiting your account and incurring charges.

You may feel quite rightly that the insurance company are to blame but, I would advise you to take the route of least resistance. If you cancelled this direct debit, no one has a right to reinstate it without your authority.

I would pursue your bank under the direct debit guarantee for a full refund of any premiums paid and any charges incurred.

"THE CAG IS MY SHEPHERD I SHALL NOT PAY": :lol:

If you took out alternative insurance then it could help your case, as I assume you told your new insurer who your old insurer was so any NCD bonus could be transferred. That would make it a pretty dead cert thing that you didn't want to renew. Of course it's not to say that if you didn't take up new insurance that it hurts you, just in situations like this all supporting evidence can be helpful. Straw that broke the camel's back, and all that.

Best route to pursue with the insurance company is to say that you did not receive the auto-renewal notice. They won't be able to prove that you did because they don't use recorded mail, and if they can't prove you "guilty" then you must be innocent. Inform them that you must receive the renewal notice at least 21 days prior to the inception of the new premium. Also demand that if they are currently covering you then you want cover to be cancelled 'ab initio' (technical jargon which means at the beginning of the policy not from the date of your letter) as they have acted illegally in covering you when you were not given any notice.

Seriously, if you are comfortable with it, try to use technical terms like inception and ab initio as it makes you sound as if you are an expert in this or that you have received advice so the insurer will be less likely to try and fight you on this.

As for your costs you could either use the very excellent suggestion from nosnibor, or you can demand repayment of these costs in your letter to your insurance company.

hey everyone thanks very much for all your advice , much appreciated

well i phoned up the bank again and actually got someone really helpful for a change. turns out i cancelled the DD on the 20th and convieniently the car insurance company set up a NEW direct debit on the 20th.

as a last resort i stated that according to the direct debit guarantee i cancelled within plenty of time and did not give any authorisation for any direct debit to be reinstated therefore the citizens advice bureau told me that it is the banks responsibility to pay me back immediately.

the woman then said that she noticed that i had a legal challenge for charges with the bank last year... which i did and won THANKS to this site and everyone on it. so then she said she would refer the case and get back to me within 5 working days to say whether they are going to re imburse me or not.

i told her that i was completely frustrated because if i contact the insurance company they come up with some story so as to fob me off to the bank and vice versa with the bank. she said it didnt look like i was getting anywhere with insurance company and would try to do as much action with the case as much as she could.

so now i need to wait!!!

ok... ive never had any problem with my insurance company so i never sought other insurance and had good faith (naiveity) that they would send the renewal documents...

i can honestly say that direct debits have been the worst invention in history... lol