Council Tax -what a joke! How does it work???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Council Tax is not based on the number of incomes but on the who;e income. If your husband earns over a certain amount then the full amount is due regardless of if you are working. Years ago I went to court over Council Tax and when I got there they were quite prepared to make an arrangement to pay the arrears. You may be better off actually making an appointment and speaking to someone at the Council rather than relying on phone calls and emails. I used to work for a local authority so I know how difficut it can be to get any sense out of some departments on the phone.

• Haha 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Council Tax has no relation to income at all - the same council tax is due for you circumstance whether you where a millionaire or penniless. The is however council tax benefit which may help you financially based in your income.

Even though you may have paid the missing payments, if they weren't paid by the due dates then the reminders and summons you've had are legal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi naughtykitten,

I have a similar problem to yours.(http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/local-authority-council-tax/172951-court-fees-council-office.html)

Did you have any luck with your situation?As i wrote on my post,i just followed the instruction i got from them and now the want me to pay the whole balance plus 250 pounds of court fees.

Thanks for your time,

Hi again,

Glad you are sorted (i know an apology also would be great but as you said...high expectations!). Thanks for your help, i had a meeting with them and now it seems that there are 2 payments missing, that s what made them go to summons.

They advised me to check my receipts, i ll do that and if there is a payment not mentioned i ll do a claim.

Thanks again for your help.